PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Cordial and Stratfordshire from C&D might scratch that itch. You can taste the Orientals and they have a bit of sweetness.

Reactions: peteguy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
from what I've heard nothing. Though quite a few great blends out there to enjoy. In a weird way seeing everyone pineing for these makes me glad I missed that train. Honestly when I'd see the art work on it, it made me feel like there was a good chance of finding crayon paper or shavings in the tin.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
It seems like there is an entire industry based on blending matches to unavailable blends.
I'd think with Mr. Frog's popularity, McClelland could even have sold the recipe to another blender.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I have a few frogs cellared, but mostly the original frog which is the only one of them I tried. (Yes, TAD). I really like the original frog on a log and have tried to find a replacement but have not found anything yet. I smoke a tin a year... special occasion smoke now.

Betcha someone will buy the recipe someday if Mike and Mary find a worthy blender with the talent and a plan (connections) to secure the right leaf.

Reactions: ThebigFil
Jun 23, 2019
It seems like there is an entire industry based on blending matches to unavailable blends.
I'd think with Mr. Frog's popularity, McClelland could even have sold the recipe to another blender.
I’m sure Sutliff has a match somewhere…they have a match of every other blend that’s gone down in history. ?☕

You would think wouldn't you.

But I'm starting to think the McNiels really might have been wizards, no one has replicated or really even mimicked their virginia technique and that as a base flavor shines through in all their blends.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
You would think wouldn't you.

But I'm starting to think the McNiels really might have been wizards, no one has replicated or really even mimicked their virginia technique and that as a base flavor shines through in all their blends.
No one ever will. Too many variables to account for…the right ?, recipes, processing, people, masterminding McNiel’s …it’s just not gonna happen. It’s hard to say goodbye sometimes. And, as far as “matches” that are made of any blend long gone…they are not a match either. ?‍♂️☕

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Betcha someone will buy the recipe someday if Mike and Mary find a worthy blender with the talent and a plan (connections) to secure the right leaf.

Unfortunately, Mike's not securing it for the simple reason that it can't be secured, anymore. And if he can't, others can't.

He worked with cigarette sourcers who for years got early, mid, and late harvest VA separately. They'd hold leaf for 3 years for him, because he wouldn't consider it before then.

Then he'd have samples of many different lots sent to him, and host tasting parties in Kansas City, determining which lots would work with which of his offerings.

Almost all VA leaf is now harvested all together. With this trend, Mike could no longer separate out the precise lots he needed to do what he did.

He can't sell his recipes now because they depended on components that are no longer available in the same way. What anybody else would do with his recipes would therefore have to be a bastardization, at best.

Even if some tobacco producer turns back the clock on VA harvesting so that boutique blenders can try to do what Mike did, the cost would be exorbitant because it would be an intentional step away from current "efficiency" for artisanal reasons.

At least, all the above is what I've been told by a friend of Mike's. It's third-hand through me, so take it with a grain of salt.

Alas, for now. Yet I hope for a renewal of good things in the ages to come...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
No one ever will. Too many variables to account for…the right ?, recipes, processing, people, masterminding McNiel’s …it’s just not gonna happen. It’s hard to say goodbye sometimes. And, as far as “matches” that are made of any blend long gone…they are not a match either. ?‍♂️☕
also when the secret ingredient is pineal gland extract from one specific person. Or it might as well be from what it sounds like.

• Haha
Reactions: Simmerdown☕️