PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I do not do that, but don't really mind what others do.

I only met one guy who did that. I think he smoked the whole time he was awake, just kept piling it on top. Another odd thing was he would never trim back his cake, he would just smoke until the diameter of his bowl was too tight to get his pipe tool down into (or I assume crack, but the ones I saw were in one piece). What was hilarious was he made the statement "I can't figure out how that happens?" even after being told and shown how to ream a pipe.

I saw a guy come into the Tinderbox, Tacoma and buy a brand new Nording pipe, having smoked his old one to death (cracked due to cake/abusive smoking). I talked to the owner after and he said the guy just does that: buys a pipe and smokes it to death then replaces it.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I do this on occasion, but only when out and about. I'll usually dump the ash from the top first. Sometimes I want a little more than one bowl, but don't have time for an entire second bowl. With most blends, I don't find it affects the flavor at all. And now that I know it's unethical, I'll have to make sure I do it more often. :LOL:

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
So, there was a guy I saw that was smoking a bowl, and after a while, in the end of the second third, stuffs more tobacco there and proceeds to light it and kept going... How normal is it? Seemed not that ethical to me..

I know that each one does his thing but.. just asking...
If he likes doing that, he likes doing that...there are no ethics in pipe smoking, you do what you want, when you want, how you want. In my humble opinion, all of these smokers that have these specific protocols they follow are either completely engrossed in the hobby (kind of like I am about fishing and guns) or they just simply have too much time on their hands...or both.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I do this while fishing a lot. Tap the ash out, plop a little more in there and re light. I also smoke VAs and Englishness in the same pipe and occasionally char the rim and flush with water and don’t like Balkan Sobranie.

• Haha
Reactions: seanv
Status
Not open for further replies.