PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
Its been a few months since ive been on here. Looks like some new faces in here, very cool. Its been one heck of a busy summer between work, getting my house ready to sell and trying to find a house somewhere down by Detroit Metro Airport. Happy to say i was able to find a place inbetween Monroe and Dundee. Itll be nice to be close to work instead of the 3 hour drive i make at the beginning and end of my work week.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Its been a few months since ive been on here. Looks like some new faces in here, very cool. Its been one heck of a busy summer between work, getting my house ready to sell and trying to find a house somewhere down by Detroit Metro Airport. Happy to say i was able to find a place inbetween Monroe and Dundee. Itll be nice to be close to work instead of the 3 hour drive i make at the beginning and end of my work week.
Wow, you would do that on Monday, stay the week, then drive back Friday? That sounds brutal! Glad to hear about the new house and the shorter commute. But maybe 3 hours of pipe smoking on the road is not so bad…

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
From 2007 to 2018, I lived/worked in Lansing during the week and worked in Metro Detroit on the weekends. The 1.5 hour drive each way was rough.

Not sure how I did it (or survived). Glad you are getting out of that similar situation.

Amarkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2022
Northeast MI
Wow, you would do that on Monday, stay the week, then drive back Friday? That sounds brutal! Glad to hear about the new house and the shorter commute. But maybe 3 hours of pipe smoking on the road is not so bad…
Thats exactly what ive been doing. It does suck but the drive aint bad. Listen to an audible book. Dont smokein the car because i got kids.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Pipe show and smoking contest in Flint on September 23rd. I won't be there, but if you want to make a weekend out of it and need some ideas, the museums are decent and Frankenmuth isn't far.

So, a little birdie told me the pipe show is anticipating 40-50 people and 2 - 4 vendors.

There is also supposed to be an indoor smoking area since they are renting out a banquet area from an establishment with an indoor smoking permit.

To those interested, it sounds small, quaint, and indoor smoking ... like my type of place (except I am unable to attend).

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Have cigar and cocktail at Nolan’s cigar bar. They also sell pipes and pipe tobacco
Found out that you can only smoke cigars on their premises. The reason is that though they could’ve been grandfathered in to have any smoking, they wanted to offer a bar and the state said that only cigar smoking is allowed if they wanted a bar. It’s unfortunate but I get why they went that route.

Certainly not a slam on Nolan’s; just wanted to let you guys know in case you’re thinking of visiting a cigar lounge in Michigan and are hoping to smoke your pipe.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Franklin is right down the bumpy dirt track from my place. Eat the donuts in the parking lot before the grease congeals and watch the scary water wheel. With one so close we don’t travel for cider. The whole area used to be orchards way back in time.

Launchpad26

Lurker
May 4, 2023
Growing up in the Fenton area the cider mill was a fall tradition. Raised with horses through my younger years leaves me with fond, faint memories of riding the horses with my older sister through the woods behind the barn. Following somewhat of a trail over the big wooded hills we would find ourselves in the orchards belonging to “Peabody’s”. The fields were full of old farm machinery, pear trees and of course no shortage of apple trees. It was a delight to reach over and pick an apple off the tree to bite into. The horses had no reservations on picking an apple or two for themselves. Peabody’s were friendly and trusted us to treat their property respectfully and welcomed our visits. Peabody orchard was more of a business for collecting the fruit and shipping off in large wooded crates for juice production.
As a family we would venture in the station wagon to “Parshalville Mill” to what was in my mind the definition of a true cider mill. The old towering weathered building next to the water with the large water wheel on the side. It seemed tucked away off the beaten path in the country. A tiny village in the woods setting almost like little House on the Prairie perhaps. The bees buzzed everywhere you went and the sound of the small creek and water flow through the dam.
Another spot was “Deihl’s Orchard” with its country feel but more of a field setting.

As years passed on the horses were gone, as was the farm. I started my family and began taking them to Parshalville Mill many times over the years, Deihls as well. Another place came about that we truly enjoyed called Spicer’s Orchard. These children now have similar memories and now take there children. Occasionally we visit “Three Cedars Farm” together, a newer addition near South Lyon where we enjoy the bees, donuts and cider, the animals and watching the little ones play.

Things have changed since my younger days. Spicer's now has cleared acres upon acres of fields for parking and the cars line up all the way down the US 23 off ramp, they charge for most all things that once were free. Three Cedars is tremendously busy on weekends but weekdays allows a much smaller crowd. Parshalville is moderately busy. Deihls I just can’t say. Is it still there?? Peabody’s sold land to developers for housing. Everything seems to be big business when compared to years ago. But I imagine to my grandchildren, they don’t know this. It’s just good fun and, hopefully memories.

You can’t stop change. And I suppose that’s just how life is. But I do miss being one of maybe ten families at any given weekend who would be present. Oh the crowds that show up now.

Some years ago we found a wonderful place called “Anderson’s” now “Anderson and Girls” up near the Stanton area. While it too draws a grand number of people it really is a treasure for cider, donuts and many other sweets. They have a number of animals for the children (and adults) including several exotic animals such as camels, mountain lions, wolfs, etc. If I was to recommend a place in this day and age worth a day trip it would be this place for sure. A few little towns to pass through, a touch of scenery and a great destination all in all.

Well gentleman, my pipe has turned to ash. Good night pipe friends. I hope this finds everyone doing very well,

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
My dad lived just down the street / upstream on the Huron River from the Dexter Cider Mill, so that is my favorite. Haven't been back there for cider in a number of years though. On my mom's side we would go to Yates and hike the trails, but its a bit much and over crowded. My wife grew up going to Franklin and that is nice. Still prefer Dexter over both for nostalgia and taste, not to mention their apple butter is phenomenal.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
On another sadder note i just got back from a morning work trip to Flint and had a chance to stop by Paul's, which things for Dan aren't going great. Still a lot of road work going on around the shop. The back of the neighboring building (to the left of Paul's entrance, has partially collapsed. He has been packing up the museum upstairs due to roof leaks and risks of additional collapse. He was kind enough to give my coworkers and i a brief tour tough. Below is a photo of the condition he's dealing with. I also had my camera with me and asked for a portrait of him, which he was happy to oblige, with a pipe that is special to him. He pulled out a pipe that was to be his father's (Paul) daily smoker that was passed down as his first pipe and is over a hundred years old. Paul would give Dan a nice pipe until he learned how to smoke it. At 77yo, he still smokes that pipe. The portrait was the first frame of a new roll of film (Kodak Tri-X), so it will be a while before i get it developed and make a print, but i was able to snap a cellpone pic of the pipe. Its the pipe on the left in the photo. As a thanks for his time i purchased a nice Cayuga that has a soft similarity to his. Dan is looking for a new building to relocate, but it sounds like a slow process. If you get the chance, keep supporting Dan and his son as they are the only two running the shop now.
PXL_20231024_154224158.jpgPXL_20231024_152828846.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
There's a recent thread about local foods.

Figure a neat idea is posting some foods and where you like to get them (since I'm always looking for suggestions).

Coney dogs - Lipuma's
Pizza - ever since DeLuca closed in Lansing, Jets is sadly my favorite

Shawarma - Lebanese Grill, ???
Ice cream - Erma's or MSU Dairy Store
Corned beef - ???, Chadds Bistro
Pickled bologna - Koegel
Bumpy cake - Sanders
Almond boneless chicken - ???
Zip sauce for steaks - Lelli's but I make my own

BBQ - Slows, Meat in Lansing
Sliders - Teleway, White Castle
Olive burger - Dagwoods in Lansing