PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Hello friends,
Very quick question. I got a little baccy order in today (once again, 4noggins, awesome job - Vermont to Ireland within a week), most of which consists of McClelland blends. When I opened the cans I though the stuff seemed a little drier than I'm accustomed to with other tobaccos, and I wanted to know if this is typical of McC. This isn't a complaint, it's all at perfectly smokeable levels, I'm just curious.
PS. Now I understand why people talk about that McClelland ketchup smell. Holy moly, if I didn't know any better I'd think it was gone off.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
What blend did you open and what's the date code say? Big McClelland fan here, some of the 50 gr tins of the newer blends like the Grand Orientals are on the dry side of the spectrum in my experience as well as some of the newer English styles. In my opinion it's done with an eye toward slower blend changes due to aging.
Mike S.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
What blend did you open and what's the date code say? Big McClelland fan here, some of the 50 gr tins of the newer blends like the Grand Orientals are on the dry side of the spectrum in my experience as well as some of the newer English styles. In my opinion it's done with an eye toward slower blend changes due to aging.
Mike S.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
It just depends on the blend. I find some of their blends, like 221b Black Shag, to be a little on the dry side. But I also find some of their stuff a little on the wet side, such as Blackwoods Flake.

It just depends.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Mike,
I got Yenidje Supreme, Brindle Flake and Butera Blended Flake, which I believe is made by McC - certainly smells like it. They're all just a bit drier than I'm accustomed to, the Brindle slightly less so. Where do I find the date? There are some numbers stamped on the bottom, but they don't really resemble a date, unless I'm just being thick.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
With the exception of Dark Star, I've never had to worry about drying any of the McClelland blends I've smoked. All their stuff is great and comes tinned perfectly. Just don't buy in to the ketchup fear. Once it's in your pipe and lit, you'll see it's nothing to worry about :)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I find pretty much all their Va's I've tried (St. James woods, Blackwoods flake, Christmas cheer, Dominican Maduro Glory) need a good amount of drying time before smoking or you get steam burning you and the flavors don't really come out. I'll usually pop a tin and let it sit for a few weeks before trying it. I find the mixtures though come at a good level of moisture, but the flakes are pretty moist, which makes for good aging though. The ketchup smell is most likely the result of vinegar being used as an anti-mold agent which is what Macbaren uses for ODF as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.