PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I was wondering if anyone has information on how the different manufacturers date their tins. I have worked for multiple factories in the past so I know that the number they stamp on could have any meaning.
I bought a tin of Frog Morton this morning and the code on the bottom reads: 452309. I assumed the 09 is the year it was tinned, but what about the other numbers?
I just thought it would be helpful to have a thread to check date codes against when you buy them. As usual any information is appreciated.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
This is a great question! I will be honest and say that I've never even considered it. :eek:

Hopefully someone has an answer because I'd really like to know!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Quick! Someone call/e-mail McClelland, cuz that's the only way we'll figure it out lol

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
You've got me to looking now.... I see that some do, and some don't. I have some that are well into being in my

cellar for 25 - 30 years. I wish I had the forethought to keep some sort of log years ago.....

Reactions: argmooner

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I called two numbers or mcclelland tobacco and no response so I left a message. Hopefully they get bak with me!

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Called cup o joes and the last two numbers are the year the first three are a batch number.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Cool, so we got McClelland date codes down. Anyone know about the other manufacturers?

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Nope not yet but I will for sure!

Sorry my info was wrong, jpberg was right! Cup O Joes told me one thing which happened to be somewhat correct but McClellands told me what jpberg said!

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
The old, old McClelland tins were wrapped, ala Anniversary, and had the code stamped on the paper. The old Hermit blends had dates handwritten on the label. GL Pease, as far as I know has always been the regular C&D stamping, which is what Hermit is now.

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
Great question; i was thinking the same the other day to see which tin pouch to open 1st specially aromatic which losses flavor when aged for long time

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I never looked before. I'd assume if the tin is unopened, it should be good for years in a nice cool cellar. Hot garage, not so long. Great question though.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
I always look at the bottom of the tins before I buy them. Shoot,I picked up some 5 year old McC VA#24 off the shelf just a couple of weeks ago and there are more 3+ year old tins on the shelf. Its easy aging if ya know the codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.