PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I saw that same sentence on pipestud's site and thought to myself, this is it, they are going out of business. Steve is I believe very close to the owners of McClelland and this is the second time Steve has inferred they were closing.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
At smokingpipes.com, down to 1550 tins of 40th Anniversary left.

Matured Virginias 100g tins going fast....No.24 =47 left, No.25=55 left, No.27=112 left.

On the bright side, 2010 Classic Virginia in bulk...about 75 lbs left.

pipeandcigars is pretty much out of everything good already except Blackwoods Flake but I doubt that lasts the day.
The IPSD run is on. Cellar now and cellar DEEP.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
FWIW, pipesandcigars is completely "out of stock" on all the Daughters and Ryan 16 bags they had on sale 20% off. That NEVER happens and they always accept backorders on D&R. Something strange is going on there IMO.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
FWIW, pipesandcigars is completely "out of stock" on all the Daughters and Ryan 16 bags they had on sale 20% off. That NEVER happens and they always accept backorders on D&R. Something strange is going on there IMO.
Yep. Everybody's quitting the business. They're all going to open KFC franchises.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
The sky is actually falling right now. LOL!!
I feel sorry for those who took up pipe smoking recently. They are probably trying to figure out what they like...and suddenly there is nothing to buy.
I was going to add more Dark Star to my last 40th order, and it went from probably around 60 tins or something to zero over night, the day before I ordered.
I put a bunch of Dark Star in my cart and was informed that there were 58 50g tins left. I then went to Mars to see if they had any -- they had 2 100g tins and 1 50g tin left. I clicked on the smokingpipes tab to order from them and there were only 3 tins left (5 or so minutes had passed). So I ordered the 2 100g tins from Mars...then I went back to smoking to buy the last 3, but only 1 was left (bought it)...and when I tried to order the last one from Mars, that one was gone.
Gotta love it!!!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I feel sorry for those who took up pipe smoking recently. They are probably trying to figure out what they like...and suddenly there is nothing to buy.
Well...not exactly. To put this in perspective, we have something like 6100 blends on the market. When I started smoking a pipe, there were probably no more than a couple of hundred, and we got along just fine. McClelland didn't exist. GL Pease didn't exist. Hearth&Home didn't exist. C&D didn't exist. A lot of the brands that everyone talks about didn't exist and there was plenty of variety for people who smoked pipes. So don't go nuts about the loss of blends.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
This was my last hurrah on buying tobacco and wanted to get some tins, particularly McClelland, to try and maybe to trade in the years ahead.

I've mostly been a bulk tobacco buyer and decided to go strictly tins this IPSD with the exception of a pound of 2010 Classic Virginia.

I figure I already have more tobacco than I can possibly smoke in the years I have left at 58, so it's all good.

I'm covered for life. FDA can kiss my arse :)

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I talked to pipesandcigars earlier about everything "out of stock". They told me they are trying to get away from accepting massive backorders.

That's a good thing! I was never fond of them selling me stuff they don't have. Put 8 items in cart and receive it in 6 different shipments stretched out over 6 months is beyond annoying.We don't get to lock in sale prices anymore when out of stock but that's better than waiting for months IMO. I had a pound of 5100 on backorder since last May that never filled and I could have bought it all of 2017 from smokingpipes. So I'm glad to see the change. Kudos, P&C.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
To put this in perspective, we have something like 6100 blends on the market.
Thats 6000 too many blends. Without McCelland and Dunhill the community would not be what it is today! And when they are gone who would be the torch carrier. Forget C&D and GLP they are small fish that put out substandard blends. Imho. Russ blends are much more satisfying. We shall see how this plays out. If you are a Va and Vaper lover than the thought of no more Mike's Va blends is a travesty!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
gkr1, I have 37 different flakes in my cellar and only one is made by McClelland and 2 are Dunhill. There are tons of other mfgs. making high quality blends and if MC and Dunhill didn't exist we would all be just fine with all the other blends out there. You may not care for C&D & Pease stuff, but there are tons of people who think they are pretty good. I certainly would not categorize them as substandard.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, I have to disagree with gkr1. Today's Dunhill isn't anything like the Dunhill blends I smoked 30 to 40 years ago, not by a long shot. Today's versions don't go through all of the stages, aging and fermentation that Dunhill employed. They don't have the roundness or fullness. But they're what this generation knows and they're much loved on their own merits.

I smoked Sullivan and Powell Gentleman's Mixture, Balkan Sobranie, 759 that was made made by Sobranie. So I find the Germain's version unsmokable. I know what fine blends are. I had years of enjoying them. And you know what? They're gone.
McClelland's blends are top notch, very old school. But there are other blends that I like as much or more, such at Rattray's HOTW and Marlin Flake. GL Pease has produced and continues to produce, some very fine blends, like Haddo's Delight and Union Square. And, surprise, surprise, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is freaking great. Capstan Blue is a top notch blend that has been around forever, and while it's changed over the decades, today's Capstan Blue is still recognizably similar to the Capstan Blue of years ago. I've smoked Three Nuns when it was a great and unique Va/Per. And if you get a tin of Savinelli Doblone d'Oro you will get real close to that. Not exactly the same, A little different. But still excellent.
You don't get to experience what I had available decades ago. And there are some long gone blends that I miss, I really do. But you do get to find great smoking in today's blends, and even with the loss of many blends, there are a great many more great blends available than we had. So the sky isn't falling, except for those who can only enjoy one small corner of it.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
You may not care for C&D & Pease stuff, but there are tons of people who think they are pretty good. I certainly would not categorize them as substandard.
Absolutely not. Some of my favorite blends are from C&D.
And there are some long gone blends that I miss, I really do.
Did you ever smoke the old, old Amphora (the one they stop making in the 80s)? That is one blend I really miss.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Didn't , mike do a podcast here stating no one could buy and run his business correctly.? Like there's no one out there to blend virginias to his spec sheet? So be it. I own a business not valued like his and if someone offered Seven million( Probably what his business would be valued in a sell ) I'd sip tequila in Islam mujeres and if they drove it into the the ground I'd be like that's too bad.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Absolutely not. Some of my favorite blends are from C&D.
Which ones? The half dozen I have tried are bland or had issue with mold!
I do enjoy few GLP but I can do without!
You are just agreeing with well known member's! It is very obvious!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.