PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluestar

Lurker
Dec 18, 2012
I use matches when it is convenient, a Bic at other times. My very favorite thing to use though is maple spill when I can lay my hands on it.

bluestar

Lurker
Dec 18, 2012
Spill is longish thin strips or spirals/shavings of wood. The leftovers from shaving or cutting the wood. Maple is my favorite to use. Only down side is you have to have fire to light it.

Aug 14, 2012
I use Diamond matches indoors, a Zippo away from home. I have a Zippo cigarette lighter and their pipelighter. The cigarette lighter works better. It has a hotter flame. Both wooden matches and Zippos leave a taste on the first few drags. A gas lighter does not leave a taste. So I usually use a Bic for second lights. Depending on the tobacco Bics are sometimes not hot enough for a good first light.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Matches most of the time, and I keep a Bic handy for relights. I have a zippo with the pipe insert that I've used over the years, but I'm cool with matches and a Bic. Easy.
Interested in the Xikar though, will have to look into that...

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
I prefer matches myself; I always scorch the rim of the bowl with a lighter, but trying to light a pipe outside on a windy day with a match is about as stupid as stupid gets. Some people say that a Zippo lighter will leave a bit of taste (of the Zippo lighter fluid) in their tobacco, but I haven't really found that to be the case myself.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I tried matches early on, but couldn't keep it lit on the patio to save my life. Then, after moving to my shop for the first winter, I tried and mastered matches and never looked back. For myself, the match won't scorch the tobacco or rim and with just a little practice, most bowls inside are now one or two match smokes. I use "Diamond" wooden matches and keep them in a small tupperware container so they don't get damp. My wife has a label on it "Walnuts", shhhh, don't tell!
I do have a fuel and gas insert for several Zippos. The fuel Zippo insert can be a little tough to suck down the flame so I prefer the gas. For outdoor smoking with any breeze, only the fuel Zippo will suffice.

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
I tend to use a long shank grill or candle lighter when relaxing on the porch, but i still use a match when its not windy

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I use matches at the B&M, I have a xikar scribe in my pipe bag, a zippo pipe lighter, and I have another xikar pipe lighter and off brand pipe lighter with tampers attached laying around.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I started with pipe lighters and have since ventured into using matches. The lighters seemed to darken the rim of the pipe more than matches do. With the matches I tend to have better control of the flame.
Like you mentioned Diamond matches can be finnicky, but when you're getting 320 for under a dollar what more could you expect. Although there are usually a good six or seven out of the thirty-two in a box that break off they've been pretty good to me.
It's all a matter of opinion and, most importantly, what works best for you.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Well, speaking of matches, I have a candidate: Swan Vestas. They are the king and queen of matches, and you will pay hansomely for their use. They are royalty, for sure. But,they also work very well. Normally, I just use plain kitchen matches, but when I am around a B&M pipe shop, I splurge and buy a box or two of the Swan Vestas. You can check them out here: http://www.houseofswan.com/products

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/classic-blog-posts/the-thermodynamics-of-pipe-smoking.html
The Thermodynamics of Pipe-Smoking

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I'm eclectic. I prefer a soft flame butane for the charring light, then I switch to large diamond wooden matches if I need to relight. Sometimes I use my Zippo pipe lighter if I'm feeling nostalgic. Don't ask me why I do what I do...

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I use a Zippo Pipe insert in an old zippo case when I'm out, cheap &1.99 for a hundred books grocery store matchbooks at the house.keep the unopened matchbooks in empty tobacco tins till I need one. I also have a spare matchbook or two in my pipe bag, just in case the zippo blows a flint or something

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
I'll use matches when I can, especially for the first few lights.
I'll use a Bic if I have to.
I'll use a Zippo if needed.
I'll use a torch if last resort.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
Inside it's always matches, usually Diamond. Outside it's a soft flame lighter

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Zippo pipe lighter most times... My homemade Zippo pipe is always in my pocket, the store bought one stays at home.
Bic or Zippo in the truck while driving. The Bic if there's traffic/weather etc... just easier while driving.
Matches, both book and wood, strike anywhere type if handy in the kitchen or garage. There are always book matches in the truck too...

oldpops41

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2012
I like matches and lighter first and second lights with a match then a lighter after

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
Indoors I use matches. I usually pick up diamond because they are easy to find. When I am outdoors or in the car I use a Zippo or a bic.

Status
Not open for further replies.