PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Bluestar, Since I usually smoke in my woodshop, there is always pieces of wood around. I used to light a candle, then light a long sliver whenever I needed to light the pipe again. It worked well, but I finally decided there was too much tinder underfoot to leave an open flame going.
Winton

jumpcannon

Lurker
May 14, 2015
I'm a massive fan of hempwick, yeah yeah spare me your weed jokes, it's the softest flame I've found, and wrap that stuff around a bic? You're golden.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Bic lighter. Matches are just too much work. Zipped are cheap and do the job. I don't taste the gas or anything. I actually find that matches impart more external flavor than Bic lighters.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
I use a soft flame lighter. They burn hotter than matches, but they're more convenient in my opinion, and I never have to leave it on long. When I use matches, I sometimes feel I'm smoking fire, and afterwards, my tongue is in a bit of pain. If you're concerned about catching the house on fire, then maybe invest in a lighter and keep a fire extinguisher in the room. I recommend a soft flame lighter; they can be a bit pricy, but they work great in my opinion. Nothing wrong with a Bic or a nice Zippo though.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I have a Peterson old boy style I use for home (indoor) use exclusively, I find that it's close to the control you have with matches, I don't have any MacArthur style deep bowl pipes so it works fine. However, outdoors is a different matter, the pipe Zippos are the only non torch lighter that works in the wind, even in a slight breeze.

rottingcorpse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2015
Thanks, Jessicac for mentioning that. Soft flames are nearly impossible to light in even the slightest breeze, as you said.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I like wooden matches but I smoke outdoors and was going through too many for it to be convenient. I have a zippo and received a pipe insert this past week which works very well.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
With a box full of lighters, that stopped working ... $50 for 50 full sized bics delivered it is for me.
My luck with lighters is so good, I couldn't get a zippo to light consistently... I used to carry a bic, to light the zippo :( Now I just carry the bic

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bic lighters, EWWW!!!
Since my last post was two freakin' years ago I'll update my preferred method of fire. These days I'm just using Old Boys, a Peterson and an IM Corona. Nice soft flame with a lot of control

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
I prefer paper matches, and I find they stay lit the best out of all matches because they essentially catch fire :D Occasionally, at my B&M The Country Squire I'll use a large wood match to get down to the bottom of the bowl. I do, however, keep a bic on me, for if I'm outside and it's windy. I find that a lighter can make for quite a hot smoke when lighting, so I try to stay away from using them unless necessary.

jmui

Might Stick Around
May 5, 2015
I love owning great looking lighters. But for a long time now, as long as I'm inside I use box matches. Much easier to control imo than a lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.