PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
For many, many years I've relied upon two grinders, both with Cole & Mason stainless steel burrs for my pepper dispensing.

However over the last year or so I've noticed a sharp reduction in the amount of pepper I get per twist so I can only assume they've come to the end of their lives.

Can anyone suggest a brand that gives consistent amounts of ground pepper? I'll not consider any of those electric/rechargeable efforts, they have awful reputations.

Jay.

Reactions: JOHN72

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
My Peugeot is going strong after heavy use for 10 years. It was a gift so I dont know the cost. They use real metal in their grinding mechanisms. Prior to this grinder I went through a bunch of them...never lasting. Mine is clear acrylic but I doubt that matters much.

@mawnansmiff Mine has metal gears, not ceramic. I recommend their pepper mills but not their cars!

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
The 18cm version is not bad. Looks like 20 pounds in UK. I guess that is expensive if you think of it as salt and pepper but not so bad if you think of it as a kitchen tool. You will buy 3 or 4 eight buck grinders before this one dies assuming they have kepts up their quality. I have an antique hand coffee grinder they made. It still works like a champ and its older than me.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Used to have this. Was very good. Lasted over 30 years. But grinding becomes cumbersome after awhile. Some French brand called Perfex.

View attachment 266180

When I moved about two years ago, changed to Peugeot pepper mill. Easier to use and holds good amount of whole pepper seed.

View attachment 266182

Peugeot Mills are tough, got one for 30 years now, black pepper daily use, still doing good.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Boychek

Lurker
Sep 23, 2020
For many, many years I've relied upon two grinders, both with Cole & Mason stainless steel burrs for my pepper dispensing.

However over the last year or so I've noticed a sharp reduction in the amount of pepper I get per twist so I can only assume they've come to the end of their lives.

Can anyone suggest a brand that gives consistent amounts of ground pepper? I'll not consider any of those electric/rechargeable efforts, they have awful reputations.

Jay.
KUHN RIKON (RATCHET) SWISS MADE

Requires two hand use with a back and forth
motion instead of twisting.

Admonition: Buy the Swiss Made as copies don't last.

I get years and years of use, otherwise, and i eat a lot
of black pepper levering to one side a time at least twenty times
per day.

Here's a link to what it looks like:

The best to you in your search, boychek

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
It’s been a couple of years since we replaced our dead pepper mill but I recall that almost all of them had their guts made by the same company. I don’t know if that’s still the case.

Reactions: TheWhale13
G

Gimlet

I'm still looking for a pair of salt and pepper grinders that have stainless mills. With every set I've seen on the high street, one or both of the grinders have been plastic.
The pepper grinder of my current set is stainless and works fine (although I'm constantly having to screw the top back on) but the salt grinder lasted about a day. The salt clumped and the plastic grinder stripped its teeth. Now it's useless. And both are really difficult to refill without sending salt granules and peppercorns all over the floor.

My mother had an electric set and they didn't last long either. I've come to the conclusion that the twist top grinder is just a bad design.
Maybe time to put my inventor's hat on.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I do have to screw the top thingy back on. Im sure some soft loc tite would do the trick but I dont have any around and its a silly price in France.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I recently bought this OXO Good Grips ceramic grinder. I have enjoyed it. I especially like the 4 settings of grind and change it often for different foods. Also the grinder is at the top when it is sitting, so it doesn’t drop pepper dust.

LINK

IMG_0668.jpeg

Reactions: UB 40 and Gimlet