PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I’d recommend Solani 633. There is perique in it, but it will hit the notes you are looking for. It’s got a hay like/fig thing going on that is very pleasing.

Also FVF aged or new.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
So many recommendations and it looks like nobody's suggested Peter Stokebyes Luxury Navy Flake. I suspect because everyone wants it in stock when they need more? This is the straight Virginia flake to judge all others by. Imho. It's great right out of the bag. The newminster version is vial to me and must be aged at least a year to to tolerate.

And as others have mentioned Sam Gawith full Virginia flake is supreme as well. Really a treat. Macbarons Va. Flake also not too shabby. And that's about it for me unless your looking to add some perique to the mix...

As for Dunhill I think it's all a hoax. I'd put money on the full product line being available a year from now.. until then their dead to me.. l o l

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Thank you all so much for your recommendations. I've added some to the P&C cart for my next TAD order (whenever that might be, since I've already made two large orders in the last two weeks 8O). I'm really looking forward to trying these, especially Gawith FVF whenever it might come back in stock, though I understand it's a bit of a temperamental smoke which might take some effort and experimentation.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Dan Tobacco Hamburger Veermaster is one I like. It is a straight Virginia flake that is on the mild/mellow side of the spectrum, but I find it tasty and nice. I think this is a good flake to understand what a Virginia flake tastes like. It is not one to hit you over the head with complex flavor and nicotine.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
In my P&C cart for next order I've got:
- Mac Baren's Capstan Blue (I think it's labeled "original navy flake")
- C&D Opening Night
- Orlick Golden Sliced
- Sutliff's Virginia Slices (I like to round out my cellar with decent bulks for those nights when I've already had several pipes - and several drinks - and I just want something decent to fill my pipe since the nuances of the finer blends are basically lost on my at that point)
On the list to try another time:
- SG Full Virginia Flake (of course, it seems to be the most loved VA flake from what I'm reading)
- GLP Union Square
- Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia
After I eventually place my next order and have some time to sample the blends a few times each, I'll post back here with my thoughts. Thank you all for your recommendations. It's nice to know that I can come here any time and get some good guidance when I'm looking to branch out and try new styles, or just new blends.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
LawDawg,You have picked some good choices there,,
Thanks to the helpful members of this forum, and the reviewers at tobaccoreviews.com
Gotta love the internet :puffpipe:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Good choices.
When I started, I was told as below. I can now confer it's solid advise. You did good and got two of the classic or prototype Virginia tobaccos.
Pure viriginia tobacco, and especially flakes, are a spectrum from bright (grassy/hay) --- middle (plum/fruit) --- earthy (rich, earth, bread/yeast).
1. Orlick = Golden Sliced (bright, grassy/hay)

2. Middle = Capstan Blue (Fruit, some yeast, rich)

3. Earthy = SG Full Virginia Flake (Earthy, bready/yeasty)
Caveat: The European "Brown Virginia" flakes are kinda in the Middle, but also in a category of their own. These flakes are kinda hard to get in the U.S. due to supply. But unique and worth grabbing when available.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Smokingpipes has Gawith FVF in stock, so I placed an order:
- Orlick Golden Slice

- Mac Baren Capstan Blue

- SG Full Virginia Flake
Looking forward to trying the full Virginia spectrum, as npod advised. I'll start with the bright Orlick.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
^^^Great Start^^^

Perfect. Those 3 alone will give you a perfect foundation for virginia flakes. I cellar all three very deeply. If my house was one fire, those 3 alone would be first out the door (well, a few others too, but you get the point).

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I’m smoking Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake right now. Always an enjoyable smoke. 507c is also an excellent STG product, and I’ve put away more of that than I’ll smoke in my lifetime.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I just wanted to report back on my Virginia flake progress. Thank you all again for your recommendations and steering me in the right direction.
I've been smoking Orlik Golden Sliced on and off since last week. I've had about five bowls so far. I am really enjoying it, though it does not have a great deal of depth or complexity. It's pretty much all straight-forward hay and sunshine :puffy: When I smoke it reeeeaaal sloooow and just about let it go out, I get a hint of raisins. If those dark fruity notes are more prominent in Capstan Blue, and even more so in Gawith Full Virginia Flake, then I expect I'm going to like the even better than OGS.
That being said, I expect there will be times when I'd seek out the straight forward hay / grass flavor of OGS. It reminds me of walking through a freshly cut hay field still covered in morning dew. And you guys weren't kidding about how easy OGS is to smoke! It's less fussy than any of the English blends in my rotation.
I've dedicated two pipes with tall slim bowls as "flake pipes." One is a newer Savinelli 707, the other is an old Comoy's seconds "Sunrise" Canadian. Both are serving their roles well, and I am looking forward to smoking through my tins of Capstan Blue and FVF next. I've got a tin of Opening Night waiting in the wings as well.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Good for you. I am not a fan of OGS. It is just too light and lemony. Like a glass of thin lemonade. It is an occasional smoke, though. I prefer it in a small pipe, as I get bored with it if it lasts too long. The other two are firm favourites. And Capstan is as easy to handle as OGS. FVF is not, but it's worth it.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Good for you. I am not a fan of OGS. It is just too light and lemony. Like a glass of thin lemonade. It is an occasional smoke, though. I prefer it in a small pipe, as I get bored with it if it lasts too long. The other two are firm favourites. And Capstan is as easy to handle as OGS. FVF is not, but it's worth it.
I also thought it was too light during my first bowl, but have been enjoying it more after that. I'm definitely getting a lot of citrus as well, which I neglected to mention.
I'm glad to hear that about Capstan. I'm really looking forward to it, knowing that it was a favorite of J.R.R. Tolkein. At the same time, I think it's silly to concern myself about who smoked it in the past, but being a life-long Tolkein fan (thanks Dad :puffy: ) I am a bit biased and can't help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.