PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Tbradsim1, I remember the fire fighters coming in every year for that school. You could always pick them out in the bars. They were the ones hitting on women like they were never going to be back in town lol.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I will hold onto my hatred of the Cowboys, though.
No problems here, it's not that I love or hate the Cowboys......I just don't love or hate any professional team. By that point in their careers, being payed ridiculous amounts of money to play a game they love anyway; I just don't get the same kind of excitement out of watching. NCAA is where it's at around my house. You'd better believe that the wife, kid, & dog are all decked out in maroon every Saturday during football season.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Loads of vitality and state patriotism. My wife did a long trip when her East Coast paper had travel money in the old days, and she loved the food culture, barbecue, Tex-Mex, and much else. I think it may be a hard state for some people to resettle in, and maybe even harder for people to leave. I've had some Texas friends, not living in Texas, who seem ... troubled.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
@huntertrw, I grew up in Matagorda County and still go there often since we have a beach house in Matagorda. It was an awesome place to grow up, lots of hunting, fishing and outdoor activities. We had a shrimp boat that we ran evenings and weekends since both of my parents worked at refineries in the area. I spent plenty of time on the boat, but I went to work on a ranch when I was 12. All of that made me decide to go to college and go to the oilfield...

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
I lived in Texas for a few years, working at a refinery. Loved my job, loved the people! My wife hated everything about Texas, and all she did was complain. After a few years of listening to this crap, back to the "Umpire State" we go. My ex-wife was from NYC.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I've had some Texas friends, not living in Texas, who seem ... troubled.
I haven't been back in 19 years, but I still make tamales and pan de polvo, smoke briskets, watch Aggie and Cowboys football, and remember all the words to Cotton-eyed Joe and Faded Love. It is indeed a "whole other country".

I may never get back, but part of me never left.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it and, as in other religions, few people dare to inspect it for fear of losing their bearings in mystery or paradox. But I think there will be little quarrel with my feeling that Texas is one thing. For all its enormous range of space, climate, and physical appearance, and for all the internal squabbles, contentions, and strivings, Texas has a tight cohesiveness perhaps stronger than any other section of America. Rich, poor, Panhandle, Gulf, city, country, Texas is the obsession, the proper study and the passionate possession of all Texans." John Steinbeck

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Texan pulls up to Cajun sitting under a tree, Texan gets out, says Who owns this Spread, T-Man says Maw that's me. How many acres you got there Hoss,T-Man says I Believe about 250 Arpents, Hell Hoss, Arpents or Acres I get in my truck and drive all day and I can't get to the end of my Spread. T-Man says I know how Dat Is I had me a Truck like Dat. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.