PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
What the hell's that supposed to mean? Were you looking for some and disappointed you didn't find any?
Funny how people from places with a long history of racist depredations are the first to criticize everyone else. Reminds me of the cloying, annoying smugness of a former smoker that is now holier-than-thou.
I think you need to slow your smoking down and relax a little friend. I don't believe anyone was implying what you're gathering from the thread.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think my reading comprehension is pretty good, and that maybe you should give advice to someone else.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I think my reading comprehension is pretty good, and that maybe you should give advice to someone else.
Fair enough, I'd urge you to heed that same recommendation. Labeling an entire state under the category of "racist" isn't very tolerant in it's own right.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Number one, I didn't offer anyone any advice. Number two, I don't think you're following this chain of events very carefully. My very problem was someone labeling an entire state racist; that's what pissed me off in the first place.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I'm just outside Corpus Christi.

I lived and worked in and around Corpus for 20 years - Sinton, Alice, Kingsville, Tuloso, Calallen, The Bluff...
Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell you. If not, you'll just embarrass him. ;-)

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I never intended to be here 20 years, but once I realized I could ride my bike 350 days per year, I adapted.
jay-roger.jpg

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
^^^ good one oldmojo!
I live about 20 minutes west of Forth Worth, which is great for us, stop and say hello when you are passing through.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Number one, I didn't offer anyone any advice. Number two, I don't think you're following this chain of events very carefully. My very problem was someone labeling an entire state racist; that's what pissed me off in the first place.
My mistake, I was following but misinterpreted the exchange the other way around. Oldmansmoking's original comment didn't give me the same impression as you the first time around, but after rereading I understand how it could have.
I lived and worked in and around Corpus for 20 years - Sinton, Alice, Kingsville, Tuloso, Calallen, The Bluff...
Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll tell you. If not, you'll just embarrass him. [;-)]
Graduated from Tuloso High School, left for A&M for 4 years and moved back outside of Calallen after I finished.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Intervention of either (1) a net, or, (2) wine and roses, will be required."
Brett, that's where the wellies come in handy. Once you have wooed her with your devastating charm, you deftly tuck her hind legs into your wellies and........or so I was told :oops:
Regards,
Jay.

Jan 8, 2013
I see that somehow racism got into the mix of this thread, which is unfortunate to say the least. I'll just say this while keeping with the title of the thread.... I have lived in Texas my whole life, and although the heat sucks in the summer, and the weather can go from fair to downright violent in a matter of minutes, I can't imagine myself living anywhere else. As far as racism goes... I don't believe racism is any more prevalent in Texas than it is anywhere else. And it exists among all peoples, not just whites. In Texas, and especially in my area of Fort Worth, I see white, Asian, African American, latino, etc etc all getting along just fine. And as far as gun owners go, all the gun owners I've known are safe and responsible gun owners. As far as the sign saying batshit crazy... well the 110 degree heat followed by a tornado or two followed by 110 degree heat will make anyone batshit crazy. Oh... the road construction will make you batshit crazy too. :lol:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Now see, we need that sign in Kentucky. We are gun owners, AND batshit crazy. :mrgreen:

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I see that somehow racism got into the mix of this thread, which is unfortunate to say the least. I'll just say this while keeping with the title of the thread.... I have lived in Texas my whole life, and although the heat sucks in the summer, and the weather can go from fair to downright violent in a matter of minutes, I can't imagine myself living anywhere else. As far as racism goes... I don't believe racism is any more prevalent in Texas than it is anywhere else. And it exists among all peoples, not just whites. In Texas, and especially in my area of Fort Worth, I see white, Asian, African American, latino, etc etc all getting along just fine. And as far as gun owners go, all the gun owners I've known are safe and responsible gun owners. As far as the sign saying batshit crazy... well the 110 degree heat followed by a tornado or two followed by 110 degree heat will make anyone batshit crazy. Oh... the road construction will make you batshit crazy too. [:lol:]
There was a little confusion on my part with the racism subject but I'd agree with you 100%. I've never met friendlier people than we have here in Texas and I rarely witness any kind of prejudice like you see in some big news stories lately. I took offense to an earlier comment but eventually realized I had read it wrong to begin with. No harm no foul. And as far as the weather, I've always enjoyed this exchange:
Mother Nature: "You just can't fit all four seasons into the same week."
Texas: "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Jan 8, 2013
Mother Nature: "You just can't fit all four seasons into the same week."
Texas: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
Most people would never believe that to be true, until they've spent a few years here. Especially in North Central Texas.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Went to A&M in the early 90s for Firefighting school, Exxon sent me every 3 yrs, left in Shirt sleeves, Oct it was, Van was full, 96 qt ice chest full of Beer, 48 qt full of Hog Head cheese, Baudoin, Cracklings, didn't want to run out gonna be there a week, almost there, black clouds boiling, wind rocking Van , temp dropped 40 degrees, North wind howling, stopped at small store and bought a coat. They made me Capt of an Australian team and boy did we have a blast. Wind was so strong our evolutions smoked the Airport and they asked us to stop. 2 days into the school back into Shirt Sleeves. My Boss called an asked how myvAustralians were doing, I told him Boss I trained em so good they can set a bucket of water on Fire. :rofl:

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
OK, So I was born and raised in San Francisco and live in Colorado now, which means by the stereotypes, I should be a gay and a pot smoker. (Nope.) And that said, I want to retire in South Carolina of all places. (Golf and cheap property.) You can engage in the stereotypes of any place — South Carolina was the cradle of the Confederacy, right? I'd prefer to explore our great country and learn for myself, which will include a trip to Texas. I will hold onto my hatred of the Cowboys, though.

Jan 8, 2013
almost there, black clouds boiling, wind rocking Van , temp dropped 40 degrees, North wind howling, stopped at small store and bought a coat.They made me Capt of an Australian team and boy did we have a blast. Wind was so strong our evolutions smoked the Airport and they asked us to stop. 2 days into the school back into Shirt Sleeves.
Yep... that's Texas. :lol:
weather-in-texas_thumb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.