PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dajo

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2023
Dothan, Alabama
Newbie question...

Looking for a quality leather tobacco pouch that will last a reasonable amount of time before wearing out. Any recommendations from your experiences?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
What are you going to do to that leather pouch that warrants wearing out? I mean, just putting in tobacco and out. But do understand leather will pick up tobacco juice and whatnot. You might want to use a plastic bag or lined leather pouch.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Most are rubber-lined.
The rubber may give up before the leather

Where are you based ?

Lots of options in sponsor sites SmokingPipes, The Danish Pipe Shop, etc

Depends on your budget and preference for straight out tobacco or combo pipe and tobacco pouches

I have several that only get used when I’m travelling.
I use ziplock baggies so I can pack several blends at a time

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
For what it's worth, most of the leather pouches I have seen online are lined with surgical-grade rubber.

If the outside is made of genuine leather, leather can be pretty tough and hard to wear out. As to recommendations, I don't have any off hand, but if you need or could use a pipe bag as well, many of those come with a removable tobacco pouch. I have a Peterson Avoca 3 pipe bag, and that's a quality one that I have no problems recommending. It comes with a removable tobacco pouch, whole thing is leather, pouch is leather and the pouch is lined with surgical grade rubber. They also make stand-alone Avoca tobacco pouches. Not sure if you can get the same quality for less or not, but at least that one is quality (I am assuming based on the quality if the pipe bag I got).

Alternatively, you could also look at pocket jars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chalaw87

Dajo

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2023
Dothan, Alabama
Most are rubber-lined.

Where are you based ?

Depends on your budget and preference for straight out tobacco or combo pipe and tobacco pouches

I am in Dothan, Alabama. I prefer the tobacco only type.

Reactions: Reggie

Dajo

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2023
Dothan, Alabama
What are you going to do to that leather pouch that warrants wearing out? I mean, just putting in tobacco and out. But do understand leather will pick up tobacco juice and whatnot. You might want to use a plastic bag or lined leather pouch.
Was thinking a lined leather pouch, and the wearing out would probably be the cracking or deterioration of the lining material rather than the leather...

Dajo

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2023
Dothan, Alabama
For what it's worth, most of the leather pouches I have seen online are lined with surgical-grade rubber.

If the outside is made of genuine leather, leather can be pretty tough and hard to wear out. As to recommendations, I don't have any off hand, but if you need or could use a pipe bag as well, many of those come with a removable tobacco pouch. I have a Peterson Avoca 3 pipe bag, and that's a quality one that I have no problems recommending. It comes with a removable tobacco pouch, whole thing is leather, pouch is leather and the pouch is lined with surgical grade rubber. They also make stand-alone Avoca tobacco pouches. Not sure if you can get the same quality for less or not, but at least that one is quality (I am assuming based on the quality if the pipe bag I got).

Alternatively, you could also look at pocket jars.
Thank you, fellow Dothanite...
I found an Avoca 2 pipe and it has a detachable pouch. I also will consider starting out with a pocket jar. Thanks, again.

Dajo

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2023
Dothan, Alabama
Hello Tarheel,
I spent a lot of time @ NCSU, Hillsborough, Mebane, and Carrboro in my younger days.

Dajo

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2023
Dothan, Alabama
And Concord, and Charlotte, and Mocksville, and Asheville.

Dajo

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2023
Dothan, Alabama
Most are rubber-lined.

Where are you based ?

Thanks for the tip on the ziplock baggies...I will use that.

Reactions: OzPiper

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I use these bags which are a bit sturdier and the Peterson pipe carrier. It's leather and lined with typical tobacco pouch liner. It has space for tobacco, depending on their size up to 2 pipes, and a pocket for paraphernalia. I've used this system for light travel very successfully. Check etsy there are many good leather makers there too.
20230814_150730.jpg20230814_150948.jpg

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Thank you, fellow Dothanite...
I found an Avoca 2 pipe and it has a detachable pouch. I also will consider starting out with a pocket jar. Thanks, again.
Don't just go with the bag I recommended. Look around, there's probably others that are just as good for less. I threw that one out as a recommendation knowing it is good. Is it the best value? I don't know, I haven't seen many others in person.

If you want, message me and we can meet up somewhere and you can see the bag in person if you want before you pull the trigger on it. I also have a Smoking Pipes branded pipe bag (I think that one is a 2-pipe bag) if you want to see that as well for comparison.

Last edited:

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
I have a Viking leather tobacco pouch from P&C. I have used it in my back pocket like a wallet quite a few times and its holding up and wearing in well. It's been my daily pouch almost exclusively for about 8 months, pocket or not. The leather is thicker than other pouches, and the stitching is robust. The liner is also showing very little wear, I wipe it out every few weeks with a damp paper towel and it looks almost new again. I'm sure there are others just as good, but I stopped at this one and it looks like I won't need another for a long time.

Reactions: sardonicus87

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
If you want something that is incredible you could a get leather pouch of just about anything you desire but be prepared to pay for it. I got one of alligator hide 10 years ago and it costs me $75. Let me know and I'll have the guy get in touch with you.

Dajo

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2023
Dothan, Alabama
I use these bags which are a bit sturdier and the Peterson pipe carrier. It's leather and lined with typical tobacco pouch liner. It has space for tobacco, depending on their size up to 2 pipes, and a pocket for paraphernalia. I've used this system for light travel very successfully. Check etsy there are many good leather makers there too.
View attachment 240013View attachment 240014
appreciate the information. like the peterson.

Dajo

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2023
Dothan, Alabama
I have a Viking leather tobacco pouch from P&C. I have used it in my back pocket like a wallet quite a few times and its holding up and wearing in well. It's been my daily pouch almost exclusively for about 8 months, pocket or not. The leather is thicker than other pouches, and the stitching is robust. The liner is also showing very little wear, I wipe it out every few weeks with a damp paper towel and it looks almost new again. I'm sure there are others just as good, but I stopped at this one and it looks like I won't need another for a long time.
Thanks. These look substantial and will be under consideration

Reactions: WhiteCrown

Dajo

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2023
Dothan, Alabama
thank you, Sir. I will check that out.
I really liked the looks of that leather w rubber lining. But Merchant did not mention the size overall when folded or when fully extended, which would be good to know. And they are not in office til end of this month...

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
View attachment 240013View attachment 240014
Second the peterson pipe carrier. Room for a czech tool and some pipe cleaners

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian