PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
We talk on here and a couple of other forums i am a member of about the amount of pipe smokers being on the increase,with the laws and price of tobacco and cigarettes here in the UK i would say that smokers as a whole are in decline,i have quite a few friends and also people i know that have stopped due to cost and the stupid laws regarding smoking indoors.You can't go in a pub or bar and have a pint and a smoke which is also probably killing the pubs and bar industry.The government here has always had it in for smokers and drinkers and i don't see it changing whoever is in charge of the country.The tax they charge tobacco companies is horrendous then they also charge the tobacco buyer, they can't lose.

Sorry for the rant but after 40 years as a smoker it really gets my goat.
Wiz

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"We buy from discount on-line stores, which is also cutting the throat of the B&M's, the passing of which we mourn, or pretend to ourselves we mourn. Then we're off to the next 20% off sale."
Jesse is spot on here. We are all as guilty as each other as we do the bulk of our tobacco and to a certain extent pipe purchasing online as the costs are considerably cheaper than buying from a B&M.
I would love to use my nearest B&M exclusively but I simply cannot afford to, as Wiz points out, prices here in the UK are horrendous. Indeed, I now buy my Sam Gawith's bulk blends from the USA as it's so much cheaper for me to do so and that is even taking shipping costs into consideration.
The only worry I have is what happens when our governments finally decide to ban online sales of tobacco...will be see a sudden growth of B&M stores sprout up everywhere? I somehow doubt it.
A sorry state of affairs.
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The only worry I have is what happens when our governments finally decide to ban online sales of tobacco...will be see a sudden growth of B&M stores sprout up everywhere? I somehow doubt it.
The point of sin taxes is to regulate behavior.
In the eyes of the State, the best outcome is one where tobacco becomes so expensive that people stop using it.
The only long-term solution is to disconnect from the State and its economy entirely and produce our own.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Back to mail order catalogs. "Flash sales" will have to go on for weeks.
Or, we could stop being whiny little addicts and quit...
Nahhh...

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Sorry to hear about this. I'd been planning to drop by the shop the next time I visited a friend who lives in L.A.
Glad SPC is stocking their tobaccos, though. I quite like the Blend for Cary Grant and have a couple tins of their other blends that I haven't gotten to yet.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I have never bought a pipe or an ounce of pipe tobacco online.
Two weeks ago my wife and I took a three hour road trip to by a $40 meer.
If you want to support B&M just do it. If you don't please don't wail at the funeral.
There is a shop by the same name in a city close to me, that's what got my attention to start with.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Seagull, would you be willing to buy at your local B&M and ship to each of us here who don't have a local B&M? WE would be willing to allow you to pay the shipping also.
Unfortunately, many of us don't have a local store, or unlimited money to pay for their overhead. Life is real in some places.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
First of all i have no idea what a B&M is i guess it's a tobacconist but am probably wrong and i need to get details off Jay as to where he gets his baccy online, especially after todays budget.
Wiz

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Seagull, would you be willing to buy at your local B&M and ship to each of us here who don't have a local B&M? WE would be willing to allow you to pay the shipping also.
Unfortunately, many of us don't have a local store, or unlimited money to pay for their overhead. Life is real in some places.

Post your address dude, I'll try and help all I can.

I got some corn and green beans, what size shirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.