PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
As long as internet retailing exists, physical locations can't survive forever.
And the sad thing is the phuktards will legislate and tax away the online dealers to. It will happen, :( which is why I cellar away what I can to have enough to last till the last of my days are upon me...

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
That sucks.
Also how is stating his OPINION that selling weed would be more profitable crapping on your F'ed up state? Cali is all about weed and certainly anti-tobacco. Just seeing the taxes being lower on weed come January but yet keep cranking up the tax on tobacco is silly.
NY is just as F'ed up but without the legal weed. lol
NY has a 75% tobacco tax so I'm certainly not going to be buying tobacco in NY. I can't wait to get the hell out of this over priced over taxed state. Why the hell should I pay more in property taxes per year than I do for my actual mortgage? Heck the town I'm in if you are elected twice to the town board you get health care for life and a pension. How silly is that for a position people do part time. No wonder they have no fricking money and tax the crap out of us.
More than half the school budget is to pay pensions. That's not sustainable and only going to get worse.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
It's always sad to see a long time family business close--especially one with such an interesting history.
I was just in San Diego at Liberty Tobacco. Great store and it struck me that their tobacco prices were lower on tins compared to stores here in Illinois, which has a 35% tobacco tax and sales tax of 7% on top of that. The store is in a strip mall and not right downtown, so maybe the rent isn't crazy. They also had the finest assortment of bulk tobaccos I've ever found in a store. Lots of really fine VaPers and English, flake, and even rope. Of course, there were aromatics too, but I walked out of there with over a pound of bulk tobaccos, plus several tins. Ben, Cedric, and the owner, Charlie, were all great. I'd think about opening a place like it, if it weren't for the FDA.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
We may argue from here to eternity, but in vain what it comes for Kramer's

The sad truth is that such shops are slowly closing down for bunch of reasons - rising taxes, rent, regulations, loosing clients to online shops ... and etc.
Dont like it but ....

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Given what is happening with LA's rental market and real estate prices, low volume, low margin businesses like Kramer's have no chance of continuing. There's little to no money to be made in pipes and pipe tobaccos. And most of us don't support B&M's to any great extent. We buy from discount on-line stores, which is also cutting the throat of the B&M's, the passing of which we mourn, or pretend to ourselves we mourn. Then we're off to the next 20% off sale.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
You guys want to try living in the UK with our tobacco prices, even the online retailers are rip off merchants. What we pay for 50grams you would probably get a pound of the same gear. I would love to live in the States and not just for the tobacco, you guys don't understand how lucky you are compared to some of us. £14 for 50 grams plus postage, i don't know how much that is in dollars but probably in the region of 25ish ?
Wiz

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
You guys want to try living in the UK with our tobacco prices, even the online retailers are rip off merchants. What we pay for 50grams you would probably get a pound of the same gear. I would love to live in the States and not just for the tobacco, you guys don't understand how lucky you are compared to some of us. £14 for 50 grams plus postage, i don't know how much that is in dollars but probably in the region of 25ish ?
I often think the same thing when I see our American friends talk tobacco cost. I just paid £15.95 for 50g and by my calculations that about $21.08 USD.
And, it gets better because The Chancellor of the Exchequer gets his little red box out next Wednesday so I expect my wallet to get a fiscal buggering, even more, when I go to the pub via the tobacconist.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The UK is terrible in terms of prices but I am sure when Comrade Corbyn and his chums get into power they will outlaw tobacco completely!!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
At this point, I am hoping for some state to suspend sales tax and state taxes, and just cut programs instead.
That way, we could have B&Ms with decent prices.... and spend more time goofing off there.

Oct 7, 2016
Great shop, sad news. Was there many times in the 1980's and 90's when I had several clients in Southern California.
I suspect other states may try to follow Washington states example of banning out of state shipments of tobacco products to protect the remaining B&M's. I don't see how else they can survive in high tax states. High rent has always been a problem. I remember when virtually every enclosed mall had a tobacconist, often a Tinderbox. Few and far between now.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Not to derail, as the loss of Kramer is still very sad, but wizhunter, where I live in the US tobacco is higher than that. There is a federal tax, but then the states dive in. In our state the average price of a 50g tin is $25. SUTLIFF is $20.99...

Status
Not open for further replies.