Jim's Sutliff States of Virginia Limited Edition 2023 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Have you tried any blending yet?

Yes. I was even considered for a blending job by one company, but things changed and it didn't happen. I've been a consultant and taste tester for several companies. Have created and co-created several blends for several companies, too.

I hate that I missed my chance to be a full time blender. I figured out what was in Stonehaven, and managed to come close to duplicating the base tobaccos and their ratios while experimenting. I would have loved to have brought that to market. I remember mentioning it to Rich when he owned 4Noggins, and he asked me to share it. I asked how much is he going to pay me, and he suddenly got very silent. rotf

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Yes. I was even considered for a blending job by one company, but things changed and it didn't happen. I've been a consultant and taste tester for several companies. Have created and co-created several blends for several companies, too.

I hate that I missed my chance to be a full time blender. I figured out what was in Stonehaven, and managed to come close to duplicating the base tobaccos and their ratios while experimenting. I would have loved to have brought that to market. I remember mentioning it to Rich when he owned 4Noggins, and he asked me to share it. I asked how much is he going to pay me, and he suddenly got very silent. rotf
We need to make JimHaven a thing! I’ll help sponsor it lol. Maybe a kickstarter?

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Btw. I got myself a few tins too. Something to throw out there, while mixing these three together will be fun. I think I might take a few blends I’m already a fan and familiar with, and seeing the impact the three Virginia types have on it. Basically turning a favorite blend into three new ones with the addition of each component respectively and seeing how they compare.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville

Absolutely none of my business at all and please feel free to tell me so but are you certain the time for you to blend has passed? I can’t believe it would lose money and it might be fun.

I know I’d buy 2 tins. I bet nearly everyone here would. I bet nearly everyone that’s spent more than 30 mins on Tobacco Reviews would.

You are a highly trusted brand, Mr. Jim. Sutliff would be fools to not license a JimInks blend from you.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Absolutely none of my business at all and please feel free to tell me so but are you certain the time for you to blend has passed? I can’t believe it would lose money and it might be fun.

I know I’d buy 2 tins. I bet nearly everyone here would. I bet nearly everyone that’s spent more than 30 mins on Tobacco Reviews would.

You are a highly trusted brand, Mr. Jim. Sutliff would be fools to not license a JimInks blend from you.
I don't mind the question at all. And, I thank you for the very kind words. Sutliff does a great job with what they've been doing these past few years. Doesn't look like they need anybody's help. Their CEO knows what he is doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: PipeIT and Chalaw87

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
We need to make JimHaven a thing! I’ll help sponsor it lol. Maybe a kickstarter?
Oh, no. I'm not getting into home micro-blending. It's a real pain, I don't have the room, and besides, there's Ken Byron who is exceptionally inventive. I can't see competing with him.

I occasionally make a blend for myself, but that's about as far as I go.

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I love Sutliff (red virginia, Cringle and even 515rc). I love virginias including SPC Hogshead which I believe is produced by Sutliff. But, the $14 plus price for 1.5 oz is too high. I can afford it but do not choose to buy. Having said that i am most willing to pay $35 on sale for 4 oz of hogshead so i get the inconsistency. However, the plug has more smokes per ounce in my view.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I'm stoked for a couple straight leave options.

I frequently add a pinch of this or that to a blend that is good but maybe no great for me at that moment. Feels like also a good opportunity to try these on their own so when I get some more blends I can lean bright here or red there.

🤷‍♂️

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

I meant in regard to combinations of the States of Virginia (my fault for not being clearer) but happy to read the above! I’ve got a few of your co-creations in the cellar.

Navy Chief

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2022
Someone going on about how tobacco prices are ridiculous and if they are sending unblended tobacco we are expected to "manufacture" ourselves it should be sold at a healthy discount in one . . . two . . . three . . . . . :)

I'm guessing the "fun" factor is the hook and well played and sounds like it would be fun to experiment - for me, I'm still working out flavors on blends that are "complete" - I wouldn't know what to do with this stuff or likely discern much difference tossing it together in various ways.

Looks like something the astute Virginia lover could spend some quality time with - enjoy!
I bought some simply to taste the individual components to help refine my palette a little (hopefully)... Maybe I can throw together something interesting with them, but will never be able to reproduce it since this is a limited run..

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I bought some simply to taste the individual components to help refine my palette a little (hopefully)... Maybe I can throw together something interesting with them, but will never be able to reproduce it since this is a limited run..
I'm glad I got "talked into it". Bought a few tins figuring if it was good and fun to play around with I'd enjoy it and if not, I'd just give 'em away at some point. I like the KBV Stoved and Red, but it's an aromatic (and again, really good) but this bit last night had plenty of interest without the added interest, if that makes sense.

Reactions: Maynard58

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Just as a comparison to the stoved and red I blended from the Ststes tin.

Is there anything exceptional, or unusual about these VAs, or pretty standard? I didn’t read that’s there anything different going on here about the VAs, so I didn’t buy it.

I have quite a bit of VAs already, so I am on the look out for exceptional and unusual VAs that are not typical and really stand out, which of course isn’t easy at times finding.

One that just popped into mind, Russ Ouellette Acadian Gold, not that I’m looking for exactly the same blend/style, just exceptionally unique whatever they may be. hmm 🤔

P.S. I can’t wait for Sir John’s Flake to come back to the USA.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Is there anything exceptional, or unusual about these VAs, or pretty standard? I didn’t read that’s there anything different going on here about the VAs, so I didn’t buy it.

I have quite a bit of VAs already, so I am on the look out for exceptional and unusual VAs that are not typical and really stand out, which of course isn’t easy at times finding.

One that just popped into mind, Russ Ouellette Acadian Gold, not that I’m looking for exactly the same blend/style, just exceptionally unique whatever they may be. hmm 🤔

P.S. I can’t wait for Sir John’s Flake to come back to the USA.
I think the biggest part of it is that it’s 3 separate tobaccos the user can mix in their desired ratios, or not. Sure, it’s another VA, but I like a good gimmick and this is pretty good. I look forward to trying it.