Jim's Sutliff States of Virginia Limited Edition 2023 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree with all the people against this blend. When I buy a box of crayons (wow it won’t let me type the word cr-ayons), just give me a bunch of shades of brown. Lazy crayon makers expecting me to make my own art with all these so called “shades”. Pfft
I don't think creating a fun experience for smokers is lazy. I wouldn't dismiss the chance to explore the possibilities and maybe even learn something if you are new to blending straight Virginias. To reject those concepts as a basis for not wanting to buy this blend indicates lack of initiative more than it does criticizing the company for being lazy in my opinion. If Sutliff wanted this is be a mixture, they are certainly capable of it as their long history proves.

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
I don't think creating a fun experience for smokers is lazy. I wouldn't dismiss the chance to explore the possibilities and maybe even learn something if you are new to blending straight Virginias. To reject those concepts as a basis for not wanting to buy this blend indicates lack of initiative more than it does criticizing the company for being lazy in my opinion. If Sutliff wanted this is be a mixture, they are certainly capable of it as their long history proves.
Not just to go a long with the village elder here, but I agree.

The amount of knowledge gained concerning blending seems to be well worth 10-15 bucks—I wouldn’t cellar it, but, it’s definitely worth a tin. I think C&D had a blending kit too, but this is more economical.

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
I
I thought I was being too sarcastic, but I guess I wasn’t sarcastic enough! I was saying getting mad at a blend like this would be like getting mad at a box of cr-ayons or markers for having primary colors and expecting you to to make your own creation vs having all the colors mixed for you already. I’m gonna blame the “cray” emoji.

I definitely plan on buying some of these primary ingredients and making my own unique shades.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Although I could do this one in my head my wife says it’s like getting n! = n × (n − 1) × (n − 2) ... 3 × 2 × 1 varieties in one tin so I guess I’ll have to heed the common wisdom, lol.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

BriarsAndBottles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2022
Hercules, California
Although I could do this one in my head my wife says it’s like getting n! = n × (n − 1) × (n − 2) ... 3 × 2 × 1 varieties in one tin so I guess I’ll have to heed the common wisdom, lol.
Hmmm. I like the thought but I think you need to add one. Not sure what the formula is, but there’s 7 combos: a, b, c, ab, ac, bc, abc.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Hmmm. I like the thought but I think you need to add one. Not sure what the formula is, but there’s 7 combos: a, b, c, ab, ac, bc, abc.
There are way more variables than that if you take into account proportions. What about two parts “a” and one part “b” (aab) and so on?

I forgot about the drop today. Hopefully I can score some at another tobacconist.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
This goes on sale June 13 at 6 p.m. EST.

In the tin are three separate stacks of mildly moist red, bright and stoved Virginia crumble cakes. By design, Sutliff has created a playful experience for the smoker because you can mix them any way you want, so it’s impossible to rate an overall flavor consistency. I did smoke some of each varietal straight for the sake of this review. The matured bright Virginia provides a lot of tart and tangy citrus, bread, grass, sugar, some floralness, mild sour lemon, a little spice, hay, and a touch of acidity. The red Virginia offers a lot of tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, some tart citrus, sugar, mild vegetation, grass, floralness, a pinch or two of spice, and light vinegar note. The stoved Virginia produces a lot of moderately stewed, tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, some sugar, tangy citrus, floralness, light grass, and spice. There are no toppings and the casings appear to minimal. The bright Va. and red Va. just reach the medium mark in strength, nicotine and taste. Those particular aspects in the stoved Va. are a step past that. There’s no chance of bite or harshness no matter how you blend it. There are a few small rough notes with the bright having the most, and the stoved sporting the least. In any version you may blend, it burns cool, clean, and tad slow. The after taste is always pleasant, and generally short lived although the stoved will insure it lasts a little longer if you use more of it than the other Va.s. The quality of the room note will fluctuate, but it basically ranges between pleasant and pleasant to tolerable. Never has more than light dampness in the bowl. It will always require some relights unless it give it a lot of dry time. As is my custom, I did not dry it for review nor did I see a need for it. Your mileage may vary on this point. Can be an all day smoke under most circumstances. An amusing four star number of blending experiences.
Have you tried any blending yet?