Jim's Sutliff Cringle Flake 2023 Review.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale December 5 at 6 p.m. EST.

The stoved Katerini offers plenty of fermented stewed, creamy, sugary sweetness, spice, earth, wood, smoke, herbs, floralness, vegetation, sourness, some tangy citrus and dark fruit, peat, and light incense as the lead component. The last of the 2003 perique produces plenty of fermented stewed raisins, figs, plums, dates, earth, wood, spice, and light sugar, It plays around the same level as the red Virginias although some of its aspects are similar enough to the Katerini to reduce the status of the Virginias to an important secondary support role. The well aged American grown red Virginias provides an abundance of fermented tangy dark fruit, earth, wood, bread, some sugar, tangy citrus, grass, floralness, vegetation, and light vinegar. The overall strength and taste levels gain a little potency by the first third of the experience. The strength and nic-hit are a couple of steps past the center of medium to strong. The taste is almost full. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. Has a few small rough notes. The easily broken apart flakes are not very moist. Well balanced with a little complexity, it burns cool, clean and slightly slow with a mostly consistent sweet, fruity, spicy, floral, smoky, mildly sour, savory flavor that extends to the moderately lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is pleasant to tolerable. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl. Requires a few relights. May be close to an all day smoke for the veteran, and easily repeatable for the less experienced. Four stars out of four.
©Jim Amash 2023

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I'm going to buy it. Dunno what stoved Katerini will be like, and the VA is not the same aged as in the past. But...it's Christmas and I've purchased the last versions to save a few and to gift. Low risk....it's not gonna be less than very nice and nowadays that's something. Thanks for the review.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
@JimInks, the 2022 edition is the only one I've had, and I liked it a lot. What are the differences with respect to that? As in, more or less sweet, more or less dark fruit, etc.? Thanks!
More Red Va. which was stoved (the lead component), less spice, no Katerini Oriental. Here's my review of the 2022 edition:

The stoved red Virginias provide a lot of very tart and tangy citrus, tangy ripe dark fruit, grass, earth, wood, bread, floralness, some sugar, vegetation, mild sour lemon, light spice, and vinegar as the lead components. The nineteen year old perique offers plenty of fermented stewed fruity (raisins, dates, figs, and plums), earth, wood, spice, and light sugar as an important supporting player. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels just reach the medium mark. There’s no chance of bite or harshness. The rough edges are very minor. The mildly moist flakes break apart easily. My usual custom is not to dry blends when I review, but I did try it a couple of times. When I did, the citrus and floralness were a little more pronounced. Some dry time may create an easier burn rate, but there’s a risk of altering the delicate balance of fruit flavors if you do much of it. The flakes burn cool, clean, and slow with a very consistent, subtly fermented fruity sweet, moderately peppery, floral, and light sour flavor that extends to the mildly lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is pleasant to tolerable. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Can be an all day smoke for many smokers. Four stars out of four.