PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This product is the cut-off edges of Full Virginia Flake although it really is a melded, thick, densely pressed flake of those leavings with a wax-like glean. The colors range between golden brown to very dark brown and black. The moderately sweet flavors are a mix of tart and tangy citrus and tangy dark fruit with a little sugar, sour lemon, and a small hint of stewed fruit. The citrus is more obvious. The other aspects are a fair amount of grass, floralness, mild earth, wood, spice, vegetation, and light, bitter acidity. The fruit casings are a touch less noticeable than usual. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels are medium. Won’t bite or get harsh. The small rough edges are a little less obvious than they are in regular FVF. This bar is a bit moist. Although I don’t dry tobacco for reviews, your mileage may vary on this point, and in this case, I do recommend it. Without dry time, it is hard to light and keep lit even if you cube cut it. Burns cool and clean with a little inconsistency in the overall flavor due to the processing mentioned in the first sentence. That aspect extends to the lingering sweet and bitterly sour after taste. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran, and repeatable for the less experienced. It, like the current FV Plug and FVF are a tad more sour, bitter and less sweet, and lack some depth compared to the pre-2018 versions of the latter two manufactures. Two stars.
©Jim Amash 2024.

spearheadbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2023
Long Beach
This product is the cut-off edges of Full Virginia Flake although it really is a melded, thick, densely pressed flake of those leavings with a wax-like glean. The colors range between golden brown to very dark brown and black. The moderately sweet flavors are a mix of tart and tangy citrus and tangy dark fruit with a little sugar, sour lemon, and a small hint of stewed fruit. The citrus is more obvious. The other aspects are a fair amount of grass, floralness, mild earth, wood, spice, vegetation, and light, bitter acidity. The fruit casings are a touch less noticeable than usual. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels are medium. Won’t bite or get harsh. The small rough edges are a little less obvious than they are in regular FVF. This bar is a bit moist. Although I don’t dry tobacco for reviews, your mileage may vary on this point, and in this case, I do recommend it. Without dry time, it is hard to light and keep lit even if you cube cut it. Burns cool and clean with a little inconsistency in the overall flavor due to the processing mentioned in the first sentence. That aspect extends to the lingering sweet and bitterly sour after taste. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran, and repeatable for the less experienced. It, like the current FV Plug and FVF are a tad more sour, bitter and less sweet, and lack some depth compared to the pre-2018 versions of the latter two manufactures. Two stars.
©Jim Amash 2024.
I understand what you’re saying and although I think I enjoy the smoke maybe much more than you do I do let it dry for quite awhile. I think given the varying aspects of this product due to the nature of its production we are sure to get different experiences with every bowl. Thank you for the review!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I understand what you’re saying and although I think I enjoy the smoke maybe much more than you do I do let it dry for quite awhile. I think given the varying aspects of this product due to the nature of its production we are sure to get different experiences with every bowl. Thank you for the review!
For myself and this review, it's not a matter of whether or not I enjoyed it or what my personal preference may be. It's solely a matter of what I think it is based on experience. The drawbacks are obvious enough that I can't rate it any higher than I did.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Wow. 2 stars. Not very many of those from Mr Jim.
Now I’m even more curious.
Looking forward to the 2 ounces coming from Country Squire.

Reactions: JimInks

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
©Jim Amash 2024.
Great review- thanks!
I’ll stop scouring the internet looking for some to buy.

Reactions: JimInks