PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you, Jim. I have had to step away from the forums and pipes off and on for almost 2 years for reasons that do not bear repeating. Your review is spot on and this is the first time in many a month that I have been able to enjoy my pipes and tobacco. I guess my unopened tins are that much closer to being "classics"... Lol. @JimInks
I'm happy to hear you are doing better. I'm also pleased you like the review.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
So a couple of years ago I ordered some of the limited release and (so far) it’s the only tobacco I’ve ever lost, lol. Last I recall it was in the garage and at some point vanished. Now I don’t care! The new batch showed up today and I let some sit out for an hour or two, and decided to come out on the deck and give it a try. The little Doug Finlay poker is good for flakes IMO and I’m enjoying this as a late evening treat. Can’t say the floral aspect is noticeable to me and that’s okay, maybe more tang than creamy, and sweet but not a cloying sweet - I guess I’d call it balanced and I’m glad I read @JimInks review (but he’s been steering me right since my first of many Wilke ventures) and also glad I picked a a few more tins than I normally would.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
So a couple of years ago I ordered some of the limited release and (so far) it’s the only tobacco I’ve ever lost, lol. Last I recall it was in the garage and at some point vanished. Now I don’t care! The new batch showed up today and I let some sit out for an hour or two, and decided to come out on the deck and give it a try. The little Doug Finlay poker is good for flakes IMO and I’m enjoying this as a late evening treat. Can’t say the floral aspect is noticeable to me and that’s okay, maybe more tang than creamy, and sweet but not a cloying sweet - I guess I’d call it balanced and I’m glad I read @JimInks review (but he’s been steering me right since my first of many Wilke ventures) and also glad I picked a a few more tins than I normally would.
Thanks for the kind words. Glad it worked out for you.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Have you smoked any of the Sun Bear? I’m not sure why any pipe smoker would not enjoy them. All the notes are subtle, not overpowering.

So if this one sticks to it’s roots, it should also be nice.

Did you read the article? Sun Bear is also C&D’s Flagship small batch blend now.

“Sun Bear has been popular, says Jeremy, perhaps even more so than Carolina Red Flake. "Carolina Red Flake was for a very long time our flagship Small Batch. It remains very, very popular for us, but I think that Sun Bear carries an even broader appeal. I think that it is actually fair to say that Sun Bear rather than Carolina Red Flake is truly our flagship Small Batch now."

I have all 3, and they’re all really nice. :)

View attachment 235597
Isn't this the 5th iteration of it? 2019, 2020 2021,2022 and now 2023?

Reactions: Sonorisis

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
I’m still smoking through my tins of the original release, so this comment only applies to that. The elderflower essence is consistently noticeable, but not heavy. To me it can be almost grape like, and can sometimes outweigh the honey. While I like it just fine, I kinda wish they made a version without the elderflower and tequila
I completely agree, especially about leaving out the tequila. I think if the other flavors were left out you may be better able to pick up the nuances of the different types of honey. That being said I don't have a Jiminks palate so I may not be able to taste any differences, haha.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
For me it’s fantastic, possibly an all time favourite, just had a bowl and wish I ordered more…. It’s like a cross between a sweet codger aro and a good Virginia with orientals for complexity, subtle but tasty. Incredible nose, incredible flavour, yet still decent nic unlike codgers... I tend to avoid the over hype of limited releases, but this one deserves it IMO.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
This blend is really hitting me right - a wonderful summertime blend that’s sweet and creamy. The honey is very present, but doesn’t feel cloying to me at all. I’m really really enjoying this one - Jim’s review compelled me to buy a few tins (I normally only buy one of a new blend), and I’m wishing I bought a few more.

Really pleasant surprise - I’m glad the FOMO struck me!