PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This goes on sale Wednesday, July 26 at 6 p.m.

The 2019 Basma and 2018 Turkish Izmir provide plenty of earth, wood, floralness, some dry sourness, vegetation, herbs, spice, mild tangy buttery sweetness, and light incense and smoke. They take a small lead. The 2019 bright Virginias offer a fair amount tart and tangy citrus, bread, vegetative grass, sugar, mild floralness, sour lemon, spice, and a hint of acidity as close competitors to the Orientals. The 2019 red Virginia produces a complimentary amount of tangy ripe dark fruit earth, wood, bread, some sugar, tart citrus, light floralness, a few blades of grass, and a couple pinches of spice in secondary support. The most prominent topping is the very sweet Tupelo honey, which has some creamy butter and a few floral notes. The lightly fruity, earthy tequila is a condiment at best. Playing at the same level is the tart, grape and berry-like, acidic, floral, herbal, Just as obvious as the tequila is the tart, grape-like, floral, herbal, acidic, sweet elderflower. The strength and taste are a couple of steps past the medium threshold. The nic-hit is medium. Won’t bite or get harsh. The rough edges are minor. The easily broken apart, mildly moist flakes need no dry time. Well balanced with some nuance, it burns cool, clean and slow with a very consistent creamy sweet, fruity, floral, mildly sour, spicy, herbal, zesty flavor that extends to the long lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is a tad pungent. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Not quite an all day smoke, but it is repeatable. It is a tad sweeter with a lightly more Oriental presence than past productions. Four stars.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
This sounds really nice. I like the sound of the creaminess, which sounds like it harkens back a bit to the earlier releases that came before last year’s Mountain Flower.

At the same time, this one also sounds somewhat heavy on the Orientals like last year’s, which makes sense as it seems to use the same year Orientals that they switched to for last year’s.

Thank you very much for the great early review, Jim!

Reactions: JOHN72 and JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This sounds really nice. I like the sound of the creaminess, which sounds like it harkens back a bit to the earlier releases that came before last year’s Mountain Flower.

At the same time, this one also sounds somewhat heavy on the Orientals like last year’s, which makes sense as it seems to use the same year Orientals that they switched to for last year’s.

Thank you very much for the great early review, Jim!
I wouldn't say the Orientals are heavy, but like last production, they lead the other varietals. A touch more this time.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I wouldn't say the Orientals are heavy, but like last production, they lead the other varietals. A touch more this time.
Thanks for the correction. Are you saying the Orientals lead the other varietals a touch more compared to last year’s Mountain Flower?

Reactions: JimInks

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
I skipped last year’s edition, but after your review, Jim, I am looking forward to getting a few tins of this run. Thanks for the review, always a pleasure to read one.

Reactions: JimInks

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Hmm Iwan Ries has shown this listed for sale since last week. 🤔

Oh, I was hoping just brief summary/idea the difference between this and the other Sun Bear? 🤔

Like sweeter, not as sweet, just something basic to understand?

So how does it compare to the other three?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The SPC Newsletter with the article on the release, C&D said Sun Bear is now their Flagship release, CRF use to be the Flagship. :)