PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
It involves being able to collaboratively actualize high standards in synergy, and appropriately streamline economically sound schemas in pursuit of continually predominating inter-mandated ideas and client-focused channels. In other words, to communicate the coordination of cross-media, and intrinsically engineer mission-critical functionalities in the idea matrix
That's corporate buzzword blackout BINGO material right there. Sounds like some of the staff meetings we use to have at squadron HQ in the Air Force.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That's corporate buzzword blackout BINGO material right there. Sounds like some of the staff meetings we use to have at squadron HQ in the Air Force.
Exactly:
http://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html

May 31, 2012
It involves being able to collaboratively actualize high standards in synergy, and appropriately streamline economically sound schemas in pursuit of continually predominating inter-mandated ideas and client-focused channels. In other words, to communicate the coordination of cross-media, and intrinsically engineer mission-critical functionalities in the idea matrix.
:P
Actually,

not too far off from Dunhill's parent company,

Richemont...
The independence of each Maison within the Group is fundamental to Richemont’s overall growth strategy. Each Maison focuses on increasing awareness and desirability by developing creative products and appropriate marketing programmes. The Maisons’ products are sold through a network of boutiques owned by the Group, through franchise operations and through boutiques owned by third parties.
The Group’s luxury businesses operate globally. The largest market is Europe, which generates some 40 per cent of sales. Details of sales by geographic region are given on the Key Figures page. The Group believes the diversity of its geographical operations, with a lack of dependency on any one market, represents a long-term competitive advantage.
Specifically, the Group’s strategic objectives are:
for long term organic growth through investment in Maisons

to maintain high product quality and outstanding customer service

to attract and retain creative management and skilled craftsmen

to increase investments in manufacturing (R&D, integration, flexibility and capacity)

to adapt the selective distribution model to changes in the environment

to maintain long-standing commitment to doing business responsibly

to further enhance our business model (shared services / platforms / ERP) allowing leverage and control
https://www.richemont.com/about-richemont.html
The kind of employees Dunhill wants...
We are looking for talented people who have commitment, drive and a strong commercial focus: they will thrive and develop their career in a creative environment that encourages innovative thinking.
http://www.dunhill.com/en_usa/careers/
:P

May 31, 2012
So sayeth Marty Pulvers...
17th July, 2010
Regular visitors have come to learn that they can rely on this page for unerring directives on how to live their lives. (I apologize to those with strong religious or philosophical orientations for having, undoubtedly, created a conflict as to whom they should consult in their quotidian activities.) Recently, we’ve been able to recommend, for instance, what under pants to buy and we could just as easily field questions about where to get socks.
Today, though, I’m going to veer off that path and discuss pipes. I wouldn’t normally go there (people, me included, prefer to play to their strengths, not their weaknesses) but a long-time, smart Pipe Man brought forth an issue that deserves attention. It was during our Pipe & Pint Thursday and as at most discussions between pipe people, the name Dunhill came up.
It was then that Mark made mention of the fact that recent ads ostensibly promoting Dunhill pipes don’t even mention the name “Dunhill.” The ad only refers to the “White Spot.”
The unsubtle message is that the company that now owns Dunhill, Richemont, wants to distance itself from tobacco, tobacco use and mostly tobacco users. They are not going to have the name of a company they own, Dunhill, associated with tobacco use. This goes far in explaining why we no longer can find Dunhill tobacco blends, a staple for almost 100 yrs. We are, to clarify their exact position on this topic, the kind of whore they want to sleep with but whom, in the light of day, they will not be seen with and definitely not bring home to introduce to their parents. (If you don’t care to waste your time looking up Richemont, they own brands like Cartier, Van Cleef and Arpels, IWC, Piaget and other top watch companies, and other luxury good makers.)
As the whore (metaphorically speaking, only) who is providing the service, I can tell you that I am mighty insulted by that behavior…for a couple of reasons. One, of course, is the fact that it is smokers who have been more than just instrumental in providing the clientèle that made Dunhill a name of international renown. In return, for decades and decades, Dunhill proudly owned up to making and selling smokers articles of quality. (They are now just a brand name and make nearly nothing for smokers, as far as I can tell.) Now, they only want our money, but not our actual presence in their stores, which either no-longer exist, or exist but don’t sell smoker’s articles.
The 2nd reason I feel insulted is that they did not think we smokers, whom Richemont must think of as second class mentalities, would be able to discern, or react, to this kind of snub and we would continue to patronize their brand from the outside “To Go” window because we are not allowed into the store. If this reminds you of how Afro-Americans felt in Jim Crow America, you are on to something.
Considering that the current output of Dunhill hardly sends we pipe geeks into paroxysms of joy any longer (tobacco blender Joe Lankford spent hours washing the red stain out of his new Dunhill’s shank before he would dare smoke it, as is often the case with a new Peterson; they’re probably both made by the same bowl-dunking company) we can let the company lie in its own muck; no action is necessary. What must be irritating to the parent company, however, is the large business done in second-hand Dunhills. The sales and popularity of those pipes can’t add to the coffer of the company today. Tough.
Keep your eyes open for “White Spot” ads and then you can sneer and spit. That’s what I now do.
—Marty

Aug 14, 2012
Yes, worth it. The black shells are the worst smokers though. If you want a blasted pipe the County and Ruby Bark are better. The Cumberland, not so good.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
They are waaaay too expensive - period! Having said that I strongly feel that every pipe smoker should own at least one Dunhill. It´s an icon and the itch for it will stay forever if one doesn´t give in to it eventually. I own two and I am sure there will be more in my future.
Are they superior smokers then? I don´t think so.... :D

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Never felt the urge to own a Dunhill. If I ever run across one that my eye likes, if it passes the fondle test, then I might be tempted to see how well it smokes. So far I've not see one that fits my eye so I've never even fondled one.
They may seem over priced to some but, if I found one I liked, I'd certainly pay the asking price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My advice to anyone with a weakness for Dunhills is to copy and print the advice from foggy in his above post and save it for future reference. I wouldn't buy a Dunhill unless my stable of pipes disappointed me because of a longing for a Dunhill, but I reserve the right. He has the pipes, so he knows the line well. I'd hate to take the plunge only to discover I'd bought a lesser Dunhill by discerning standards. Now I will follow my own advice here.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
And around we go.
What is the value of a 1913 liberty head nickel? In my pocket on the way to my tobacconist - 5 cents. To a numismatist at the right auction - maybe $3.7 million. Take from the coin collector the ability to date that nickel and it's value would plummet to closer to 5 cents. Is the date stamp on the coin or pipe really worth more than the object itself? Not if you don't care but if you are looking for a birth year pipe or to fill out a collection, then the answer is, "Of course." I have Dunhills with sharp, crisp stampings and two that were "restored" at some point in their history. The date stamps on these two were completely removed under someone's buffer. I paid basket pipe prices for those two pipes and would never expect to sell them for more than about what I paid for them. Do they smoke as well as the ones with the clear stampings? Of course they do. Actually, one of them is a far better smoker than the pipe with the sharpest date stamp. Are their materials and workmanship as good as the others? Yes, even better in the one instance. Is their "value" the same? You have to be kidding. In fact, given a certain level of craftsmanship, such matters become almost irrelevant when it comes to determining the "value" of a Dunhill. They are, have been for almost 100 years, and will always be, the only brand that can be dated accurately. For collectors, that matters. For those who just don't get it, well, it probably also seems stupid to pay millions of dollars for a nickel that is clearly stamped as worth 5 cents.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You can be sure I've read all the postings above; it's a testament to Dunhill's reputation that so many postings appeared in a short time.

Here's some of the conclusions I've come up with: First, Dunhill, even an estate, is too expensive for a brand name that doesn't speak to me, although the shape does: I like the suggestion that I hire someone like Rad to duplicate (maybe with small modifications) a black shell briar. The white spot is meaningless to me.

I'm quite happy with the pipes, mostly Petersons, that I have now. The 107's are great smokers and I like the large thick wood of Peterson. I find the 107 Irish Harps and Draculas excellent smoking pipes.

But to conclude, unless a riduculous situation happens where I can buy a Dunhill for under $300, I think I can live without it.

Gentlemen, thank you, as always, for your sage input.

May 4, 2015
For collectors, that matters. For those who just don't get it, well, it probably also seems stupid to pay millions of dollars for a nickel that is clearly stamped as worth 5 cents.
Yep. And that's exactly why it's a non-argument.
Is ANY pipe worth more than $100 to me? Nope. But in no way does that mean no pipe is worth more than $100.
Now, if there is an opportunity to turn a quick profit on it - that's another story.

May 4, 2015
...every pipe smoker should own at least one Dunhill.
I should add this to my "Myths, Misconceptions and Other Fooey" thread.
Along with the "long stems (i.e. churchwardens) cool the smoke" silliness that came up earlier today.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I believe that every smoker should try a Dunhill at least one time during their smoking careers, just to see if they like them. I personally don't care for them and have owned 4 of them. I am not enaamored with their stems or their smoking properties, but that does not make them a bad pipe. They just don't fit my smoking styles is all.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Obviously the longer the stem, the further the mouth is from the source of ignition, so the smoke must be cooler then with a shorter stem. Noticeably cooler? Maybe not, maybe yes. Now the question is: Are your lungs strong enough to suck smoke through a three foot stem and bit? Four feet? What is the maximum length a stem could be and still function, at ambient pressure, at sea level? Inquiring minds are anxiously awaiting the answer.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Troy, thanks for Marty's post! Not trying to change anyone's opinion, but this is a nice pipe!
http://www.briarblues.com/ras110.htm
No affiliation, except to say Mike is a very reputable seller.

May 4, 2015
Now the question is: Are your lungs strong enough to suck smoke through a three foot stem and bit? Four feet? What is the maximum length a stem could be and still function, at ambient pressure, at sea level? Inquiring minds are anxiously awaiting the answer.
You're creating a partial vacuum and negative pressure when you take a draw, so the strength of your lungs or the length of the stem doesn't mean a whole lot (think about a hookah.)
I suspect, though, that a stem could be pretty damned long and you'd still get smoke to your mouth because of the vacuum. The distance it would actually take to get an appreciable reduction in the temperature of the smoke is probably impractical - having a lot to do with the speed the smoke travels from the bowl up the stem.
To my thinking, with the speed of the smoke, no churchwarden stem reduces the smoke in a way even close to what the conventional wisdom says.

Status
Not open for further replies.