PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I post my opinion here because in my country,Italy, there are lot of fanatic people about Dunhill not to allow a serious discussion.

I agree with iamn8 about "engineering". When I started to make pipes in a few days I manufactured good smoking pipes. If you love Dunhills, no problem, but don't tell they are better than other brands for any other reason.

If I believe in Santa Klaus it's ok, but what would you say if I tried to convince you too that Santa Klaus really exists?

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I recently smoking my unsmoked 1971 Dunhill so I can at least share my experience thus far. I have mainly vintage British pipes but had never had a Dunhill. I am now about 15 bowls in on my Dunhill and it smokes great.....but no better than my GBD's or Charatan's. Do I regret paying 8 times what I normally pay for an estate pipe? No way, I was happy to pay the premium of an unsmoked pipe and getting the birth year was basically just a good excuse to purchase. My pipe club was just asking what I thought of my new Dunhill and I said that if blindfolded I would have a hard time telling it apart from my other well made pipes.

haebar

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2014
East Tennessee
I've got a few Dunhills and I love the way they smoke and how they look and feel. I've never paid retail price for one and most of mine are estate pipes. Sometimes I get ones that need repair and have them worked on to restore them. Since mine are for smoking, I don't worry too much about whether or not they have original stems or not. My personal opinion is that they do smoke better than many other pipe brands.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
How is worth defined ? I own 4 Dunhill pipes and I don't think that they are better smokers than most pipes from decent manufacturers that cost not much more than 60$ a piece. But I sure like them a great deal even if it's only because of the great name.

jmd110

Lurker
Feb 22, 2013
Background in English Lit. Read and smoke. I have 5 all bought new from IRC. Worth the money, yes. I am not a snob. What works for me may work for you. I smoke no aromatics.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I dig that mranglophile is named Michael, lives in WA ST, was born in 1971, and has his birth year Dunhill...
As I am named Michael, live in WA ST, was born in 1971, and have my birth year Dunhill.
8O

Aug 14, 2012
I am up to 110 Dunhills. I do not care about the name. I love some of the shapes (303 billiard, Crosby & prince) and know that if I get a Dunhill of the same shape, size and finish as one I already have, it will taste the same. This is why I get them. Am tired of buying pipes from supposedly great pipemakers that taste like crap. I agree the prices are too high, but in the US only where they are price controlled. Most of mine were bought from Europe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Owing almost a gross of Dunhills and saying the name means nothing is a bit hard for me to swallow. Though I think I see the discrepancy that FM may mean: The extra cachet of the name ( and hence $$) means nothing to him, but clearly the marque does carry value to him. Is this about right, FM?

Aug 14, 2012
JPM: the brand as a luxury item means nothing to me. I do not drive a luxury car, no servants, have minimal other possessions and all the art around here was made by me. I buy only Dunhills now, not because of the white spot or reputation. I get them because they are predictable smokers. I no longer take chances on supposedly great name pipes that usually do not smoke as well as my Dunhills. If it said Kaywoodie, and smoked the same, I would get Kaywoodies.

Aug 14, 2012
JPM: the brand as a luxury item means nothing to me. I do not drive a luxury car, no servants, have minimal other possessions and all the art around here was made by me. I buy only Dunhills now, not because of the white spot or reputation. I get them because they are predictable smokers. I no longer take chances on supposedly great name pipes that usually do not smoke as well as my Dunhills. If it said Kaywoodie, and smoked the same, I would get Kaywoodies.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Smoked my first Dunhill today. I vote "yes".
Of course, my cost is a little lower than yours 8)
Could have also been the tobacco also, my first taste of Dunhill Durbar (new version)

Status
Not open for further replies.