Oct 13, 2015
UK
Reactions: greeneyes

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
An unsmoked Northern Briars "Countryman" went a bit cheaper than I would have guessed. It's unusual to see this shape with a tapered stem.

Dunhill 120's don't usually do this well, but in Root Briar grade, there was some competition.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
An unsmoked Northern Briars "Countryman" went a bit cheaper than I would have guessed. It's unusual to see this shape with a tapered stem.

Dunhill 120's don't usually do this well, but in Root Briar grade, there was some competition.

The Countryman is nicely done. but Chance is wrong about it being a Ian Walker design.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Unsmoked Four Dot (listed as 4 Dot) with a great blast did well!

Here's one I don't quite get. Comoy's Christmas pipes made in '81 or earlier are somewhat uncommon. Discounting the Cadogan era 1982 pipe, that's $400 per pipe. Comoy's Christmas pipes almost never have the drilled C logo, no matter the year, always seems like a sub-par Comoy's to me.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Here's one I don't quite get. Comoy's Christmas pipes made in '81 or earlier are somewhat uncommon. Discounting the Cadogan era 1982 pipe, that's $400 per pipe. Comoy's Christmas pipes almost never have the drilled C logo, no matter the year, always seems like a sub-par Comoy's to me.

Really shocked that my early bid did not win this auction. Shocked.

• Sad
Reactions: orlandofurioso

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island

The 1968 Root Briar 120 was one of mine. It did way better than I expected but then again if a late 60’s 120 (and their distinctive shaping) is what you are after, where else and at what price will you get it?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse,
Are you referring to Charatan carvers Dan Tennyson and Barry Jones ?
Correct. Ken identified the Countryman shape as being the product of Tennyson and Jones.
This is why I collected and preserved Ken's posts on both Charatan and Upshall, so that there would be a primary information source available for these pipes.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Nice set. Odd; I do recall my 1982 Comoy's Xmas having the drilled logo. Which puzzled me then.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Correct. Ken identified the Countryman shape as being the product of Tennyson and Jones.
This is why I collected and preserved Ken's posts on both Charatan and Upshall, so that there would be a primary information source available for these pipes.
You are our conservator, amongst so many other things. Our eternal gratitude for that Jesse !
Essential and indispensable information !