Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Likely some form of cutter to give that appearance, like George posted. Too much work to do actual shaping. Beautiful piece BTW. I have one of these from 1913, that's also a YOW. Haven't yet seen an earlier YOW.

I think @cosmicfolklore talked about how it was done. Can’t find the thread so linking him into this rabbit hole instead
Georged is most likely correct, but clean up was probably done with a cup bur, like this… (or, this is how I’d do it)
Not sure about using the lathe. I’m not a lathe user, but that seems like ot could get out of control.

IMG_1576.jpeg

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Dec 10, 2013
Honestly , I don’t trust what any seller says. As a buyer I’ve been burned by that garbage dump.

I purchased a pipe two months ago that I wasn’t concerned if it was confiscated. Just a nice little Peterson to test the waters.

Well, it got confiscated and I received a refund.

I’m a sub sample of one. Anything of value I use cutouts and intermediaries
I'm located in the Netherlands and in defense of a UK seller ( I purchased quite some pipes from lately,
all shipped through the Ebay GS by Pitney Bowes ) it now worked swimmingly . Lightning fast dispatch and delivery; tracking was accurate and consistent.
Last year though I lost two lots of wonderful, rare and well thorned 2 year seasoned blackthorn shanks for stickmaking. According to Pitney Bowes they were sent from Birmingham USA while they were sent from Birmingham UK . The seller and I were appalled, but nothing could be done . Ebay refunded immediately,
I did not so much care about the money, I wanted my bloody stick shanks.
About 3 months later the same two lots were listed anew, now by Ebay's "thefactoryoutletstore" .They offered the sticks for triple the amount I purchased them . It is obvious "thefactoryoutletstore "resells items Ebay confiscated as "prohibited " and just now I traced some Peterson pipes amongst thier listings. These pipes were initially sold by the same seller I recently bought pipes from. Confiscated before being shipped to the USA ?
I was furious and managed to find the long and windy road to PB's "customer service" .
Bombarded them with so many complaining they blocked me from mailing :mad:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
Every seller I’ve contacted said it’s too late once they’ve selected GS

A far easier solution is to let SELLERS know their Pipe or tobacciana sell is PROHIBITED by GS

I deal with this regularly.
Affirmative; sellers do not seem able to amend the shipping once listed, or they do not care. Reason; the GS covers in case of lost in the mail, theft etc. They get their coin back and so does the unfortunate buyer.
Confiscated items are then relisted by "thefactoryoutletstore" for about twice, or triple the original price.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: paulfg and FLDRD

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Holy Moly! That’s the most money I’ve ever seen a Perspex stemmed GBD sell for. Those two bidders really wanted that pipe.

What do these normally go for?

You’re right that those bidders really wanted this pipe. 86 bids is pretty impressive.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What do these normally go for?

You’re right that those bidders really wanted this pipe. 86 bids is pretty impressive.
GBD's in General, around $100, Perspex stemmed pipes slightly less. That one was odd. I paid less for my unsmoked 549 Virgin grade pipe from Pipestud...

Even odder, that is a Cadogan era pipe (Perspex grade, never heard of this)

1702500360048.jpeg
1702500378064.jpeg

Reactions: AroEnglish

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Holy Moly! That’s the most money I’ve ever seen a Perspex stemmed GBD sell for. Those two bidders really wanted that pipe.

Ms. Acrylic, she not like the heatee pressee the oval thingie approach very much, does she?.

Starburst city.

And why clear? Pipe airways get nasty looking over time as part of the deal...

When GBDs are good, they're very good. But I always got the feeling the boss's daughter was on the design team.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

My Perspex stamped 549 was the only one I’d ever seen until this one was listed.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Ms. Acrylic, she not like the heatee pressee the oval thingie approach very much, does she?.

Starburst city.

And why clear? Pipe airways get nasty looking over time as part of the deal...

When GBDs are good, they're very good. But I always got the feeling the boss's daughter was on the design team.
I like Perspex, but clearly not as much as these two guys. The spidering behind the rondel I suspect was caused by the rondel being polished with a solvent based polish. I've had plenty of them that didn't look like that as long as I owned em. Keeping the bore clean can a chore if they are poorly drilled, but I'll polish the bore on em and it makes a breeze to keep clean. Working with the stuff can be a pig b*thc mother f*cker though. I had to make a perspex stem twice because the first went so horribly wrong once.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Anyone here buy this Ben Wade albatross bone churchwarden? I'm curious what the buyer has planned for it, given the bowl is cracked in several places (likely severe burnout).

Dec 10, 2013
Nice cased pair of Dunhills.

Very nice . Also with some issues that kept me from bidding.

Dec 10, 2013
Anyone here buy this Ben Wade albatross bone churchwarden? I'm curious what the buyer has planned for it, given the bowl is cracked in several places (likely severe burnout).

Much coin for a pipe with a fucked up bowl. Otherwise very sweet.

Reactions: greeneyes

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)