PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Believe it or not, there are some still up on his Website that are available and for sale. Such beautiful pipes. I love mine.
All gone. He gave them to regular customers when he retired. The small Dublin and long shank acorn in the above pic are still listed for sale.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
There will always be trends but I've always liked what I like and never really cared what others thought. I may try something out of my norm if it has a practical purpose. I am still learning but I know what I like, when I see it.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
Agreed that I like what I like. But trends still exist. Any idea what the next trend will be?

Now that e-cigs are meeting their downfall and those users are going to be open to other things, do you think they'll be an upswing in pipe smoking?

Do you think they'll bring their millennial thoughts and technology into the pipe scene?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
99% of my smoking is done in my man cave by myself. There's no logical need to think about store other than what appeals to me. Having said that, I'm not sure anything would change if I had the luxury of smoking with a bunch of pipe buddies every day.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
My tastes in pipes is rather eclectic but I do tend towards specifics in certain brands.

In my Savinelli pipes I prefer classic shapes but in their Autograph & Artisan lines I prefer more unique styles.

In my Larsen pipes I prefer classic shapes but I do have a couple that are definitely outside of those styles.

In my artisan pipes I prefer more wild shapes (just got a scorpion shape last night) and really push the envelope on my choices. But to me that's what artisan pipes are for. Unique, one-of-a-kind, exotic.

In my meer pipes I prefer wild designs, especially dragons (which are almost classic meer shapes but not for pipes overall), but I also like to have a few classic shapes for regular use.

So there it is, now that I've typed it I realize I'm probably 50/50 overall for classic vs wild shape pipes. Is non-committal a trend?

Maybe use of bamboo is trendy right now but could go away?

Damn, it's hard to read a thread with so many side conversations. It will definitely make me avoid people responding to me off topic in threads in the future.

But, when I started, the hot pipes were all Danish... at the Briary at least. Then, slowly Skip kept noting that the popularity of English pipes swamped the Danish pipes.
He explains that billiards always sell, and sell first. Then bulldogs. Maybe Dublins neck and neck with the bullies.

He has severely limited how many different Danish pipes he carries now.

I have seen that freehands just don't move. Even ones that I think are beautiful... I just can't bring myself to buy or even consider smoking.

I also notice that he has some beautiful horns and volcanoes that just have never sold. They've been in the cabinet since I first started going there.

But, billiards... sometimes he doesn't have a single on in the store. He says they can sell faster than he can get them posted online sometimes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a fan of the classic shapes and always have been. Dublins, Billiards, Apples, Rhodesian, Lovats, Brandy's make up the majority of my collection.
I do have a couple of artisan pipes that are not standard shapes but that is it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
He explains that billiards always sell, and sell first.
[…]
But, billiards... sometimes he doesn't have a single on in the store. He says they can sell faster than he can get them posted online sometimes.

Not hard to believe. I’m a billiard/Lovat/Canadian fan and rarely see many in B&Ms. Have to hunt online.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.