PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I think it's really interesting learning the history of some of the pipe shapes and how they came about. Do specific pipe shapes go in and out of style within the pipe smoking community? Were specific shapes popular at specific times? For those that have watched these styles come and go, what's the style now?

Reactions: saintpeter

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I'd liken it to dog breeds. People are always going to love the classics but every so often a breed gets featured in a movie or a commercial and there's a spike in popularity as a result. I think the same thing happened with the Devil Anse shape after the Hatfield and McCoys series aired a few years ago. And people are always trying to find shapes that match the latest Sherlock's shape.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Same here. I just see a lot of shapes like that or sinewy handmades that cost thousands. I like classic shapes mainly but different ones can be cool occasionally.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I managed a few tobacco shops years ago. There are definitely trends that change over the years. I guess one could call it fashion. Traditional shapes (billiards, apples, brandies et al) stay popular. Free hands, cuttys, and numerous others ebb and flow over time. In the eighties Preben Holm and Ben Wade Freehands (Danish pipes) were the rage. Dunhill traditional shapes still sold well.

Reactions: diamondback
Oct 7, 2016
“influencers” have a lot to do with styles coming in and out of fashion. Barry Levin loved big GG sized Castello 65’s, so in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s, the shape got very popular because people saw him smoking them at shows and raving about them.. The internet and social media has only increased this phenomenon. Greg Pease loves Castello 55’s, isn’t the least bit bashful about it on his blog, and many people want to at least try one out. Our own @npod has no doubt got more people looking at Castello 44’s than ever before in the history of Castello.

But this is nothing new. Think of Bing Crosby.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I noticed Muttnchop Piper on YouTube (37k+ followers) seems to favor the bent pot, particularly Savinelli, such as their 122 Porto Cervo Rustic. I had been watching them on SmokingPipes.com and noticed they tend to move rather quickly, or at least they have as of late.

They had three for sale, and all three went within a week. They were out of stock briefly, but then added three more.

All that is to say, I agree with @litup that media influence seems to be one factor.

Last edited:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
it's true.. a lot is what you see other people liking and want to try it.
petersonpipenotes always gets me interested in something different.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Embers, I believe I’ve seen that Volcano (your 1st pic, top left) of yours before. I want it! lol Seriously, I’ve been on the lookout for a Volcano that agrees with my wallet (like I need more briar). Getting it past the wife, on the other hand, be a feat. I’d have better luck breaking into Fort Knox.

At any rate, I sure love that pipe!

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Good point. I am stuck in the wrong century when it comes to pipe shapes. Not a fan of chubby nose warmers. Though the author I have is weighty, it doesn't call out that it is substantial, and it's normal length.

I hate nosewarmers. Anything under 6" tends to make me hesitant (yeah, yeah, that's what she said)

I noticed Muttnchop Piper on YouTube (37k+ followers) seems to favor the bent pot, particularly Savinelli, such as their 122 Porto Cervo Rustic. I had been watching them on SmokingPipes.com and noticed they tend to move rather quickly, or at least they have as of late.

They had three for sale, and all three went within a week. They were out of stock briefly, but then added three more.

All that is to say, I agree with @litup that media influence seems to be one factor.

The 121/122 are excellent shapes. I own a couple of them and they are great pipes.

As to the OP question, I think @litup probably summed it up best. Classics endure with less volatility, other shapes ebb and flow a bit more strongly with the preferences of the day.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Embers, I believe I’ve seen that Volcano (your 1st pic, top left) of yours before. I want it! lol Seriously, I’ve been on the lookout for a Volcano that agrees with my wallet (like I need more briar). Getting it past the wife, on the other hand, be a feat. I’d have better luck breaking into Fort Knox.

At any rate, I sure love that pipe!
My first Weaver. Definitely a great pipe.?

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I will now never own one.

You arbitrarily will not own one just because the internet man has one? Quite the contrarian, eh?

I don't think there's anything wrong with seeing something and deciding you like it or want to try it.

Blindly following trends without applying your own needs/desires/analysis is, of course, an entirely different story.

Full disclosure, I bought one.
Years ago I owned a Porto Cervo 404 (Zulu) that I bought at Iwan Ries when I worked down the street. I wanted something from that line, and after recently seeing the 122 on YouTube I thought about it for a couple of weeks and ultimately bought it to fulfill my need for a pipe with a large bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.