PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Aw hell, this si right up my alley...another bud of mine had HDNMS inked on his...his...um...his..you get it. Says when on 'full' it reads..HARLEY DAVIDSON OF NATCHEZ MISSISSIPPI.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I worked with a guy years ago that was covered with tattoos. He claimed he had "Love lifed me" tattooed somewhere. I really really did not want to see that one.

Kinda like a buddy of mine who has "YER NAME" inked on his ass! Gets plenty of drinks from gals when he tells themn he has 'your name' tatt'd on his butt!

Aw hell, this si right up my alley...another bud of mine had HDNMS inked on his...his...um...his..you get it. Says when on 'full' it reads..HARLEY DAVIDSON OF NATCHEZ MISSISSIPPI.

LOL

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
My father used to say "The only people who get tatoos are drunken sailors and convicts"

I'm neither of those, but that was the thinking back then.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm not going to lie, I cannot personally abide by tattoos. I figure most of the crap I do now and would want a tat of will seem dumb in five years, not to mention fifty.

And marmalade...are you a galdurned hipster? Because it rather looks that way.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I think you may have missed the point, no I am not a hipster, and I find both your initial comment and follow up comment extremely rude. I don't appreciate being judge, or referred to in a derogatory manner by you.
-Good day, sir

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I let my wife get all the tattoos. As a matter of fact, we're going to her friend's tattoo shop grand opening on Friday. Also, it's not that I don't want any, just that no designs have "spoken" to me.
-Jason

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Okay, THATS what a finger moustache is :)

Talk about pain, I went to highschool with a dude who had F*** You tattooed upside down on the inside of his bottom lip.

I haven't heard from him in years, I would imagine he's dead or incarcerated by now.

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
This is neither here nor there, but has "hipster" become kind of a a catch-all aspersion? Seems like it's lost whatever meaning it might have held. I mean, I was told that smoking a pipe was "hipster" a few weekends ago. As was carrying any product made by Apple.
*shrug*
Anyway, back on topic, I have 3 tattoos. One a Dr. Seuss character, one a pirate flag, and the third a praying mantis.
All pretty stupid, huh?
Unless you knew that my grandfather taught me to sail on a beetle cat that had that same Dr. Seuss character painted on the stern...
And that the pirate flag was done for my best friend, on the day of his funeral. He was shot through the lung and the neck while walking his girlfriend to her car after a date. He'd also written a book on piracy, and had called me the "alpha pirate" for years. (The flag I have is Emanuel Wynn's, the first pirate to raise a "Jolly Roger."
And the praying mantis...well, that one's pretty personal.
Regardless, we're all very different people. Of varied age, background, lifestyle and locale. But we share one thing in common.
We're all pipesters. =]

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I’m a 54 year old married for 27 years father of 4 with one tattoo, and you can do whatever you want to do to your body as long as it can’t potentially hurt or harm my family, friends or country. I know some of you are probably saying yeah right, but that’s really the way I feel about it.
All I ask my kids to do on the subject is to think and remember in most cases what they choose to do will be with them for life and could impact what profession they choose to support themselves in the future.
BTW… I’m a conservative and tell you this as well as my age because tattoos, piercings, and pipe smoking aren’t the only things people pass judgment on.
Regarding the dude that got his member inked with HDNMS… Ouch I’d rather go over the handlebars of my Harley without a helmet. 8)
Puff on my friends! :puffy:

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
Collin, I wanted to make a similar comment but I like marmal4de a lot so I held bad. I have ink that might be considered in the same light. All of my pieces are in a non-English language, 3 of which are in a dead language. Color me pretentious. Either way, I love ink. Girls like guys with it and girls with it are hot. I won't deny it. In fact, I've found that most of the pipe smokers I see here in Atlanta are heavily tatted up.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Oh, and I'd like to clarify, I'm with JC in that, I don't have a problem at all with anyone else getting tattoos and all that, I just don't see myself ever getting one. However, if everyone in the world had my pasty white skin the world would be a far less interesting place!

And Jeremiah, yeah, I think hipster has become something of a catchall aspersion. Especially in larger cities. Another catchall denigration, depending upon the part of the country, is of course either liberal or conservative lol. It's amazing, when you think about it, the number of ways we figure out in which to hate each other!

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I love tattoos. I have 3 currently, one will be covered up. Not because I didn't like the design, but it healed really bad and the artist wasn't that great. It's a cross tattoo that went wrong, lol.
I have a WWI/WWII biplane on my upper right arm. My grandfather was in aviation since coming out of the airforce and loved flying. His favorite planes were biplanes. So, with the tattoo, for the call letters on the wings, I had his last name initial and the year he was born placed on the wings.
On my right calf, I have the pentacost dove done up in flames with the word Arson vertically written down the right side of the dove. Explanation if y'all want it. It's religious, so I won't get into it unless asked.
My wife has 4 tattoos and still seeking to get more.
It doesn't matter what you believe about tattoos. Same mentality goes for any vice we could pick up. Tattooing is another hobby in my mind, whether collecting, or as an artist doing it professionally. We've had some people start the whole bible thumping BS about markings on the body. To which my wife's reply was "If we're supposed to treat our bodies like a temple, well then I'm just adding some stained glass windows!"

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
i have been supporting myself tattooing others for the last 14 years. one thing i have found universally true is that the primary difference between the tattooed and the non-tattooed seems to be that the tattooed don't care that you aren't tattooed.

Status
Not open for further replies.