PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think most factory pipes get a rinse or two in the process of carving and finishing, so flushing with water in cleaning is really pretty ordinary. When I commented that I had rinsed out my estate Meerschaum to the assistant at my local pipe shop, he did a guilt trip on me, like I'd probably ruined the pipe. But I noticed the owner, who is a true pipe man, didn't join in the chorus. He was shrewd enough not to contradict his helper, but clearly he was not concerned about rinsing off the Meerschaum. There are lots of superstitions and legends about pipes that we gradually unlearn over time.

Wildlands

Might Stick Around
Jan 17, 2022
NC, USA
I use the exact same on my meerschaums.
The interesting thing to me is that the hot water will bring out color that you wouldn't otherwise see. A preview if you will. This phenom disappears as the pipe dries.
Ah, the classic hot water ghost. Much friendlier than other types of ghosts: this one leaves just as quickly as it came.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Yeah, one caveat. I've had water wash out the stain on 3 or 4 Danish Stanwells. Not all of the stain but some. It's impossible to keep the water in the bowl and shank only and not touch the outside, so I slather wax on thick on the outside to protect it during the rinse if I think the stain will run.
I decided to try this on an old Caminetto and immediately washed the stain off. Since this was a deeply carved pipe there was some residual stain in the lowest parts of the carving and the pipe looked like something the dog left in the yard. I had to send it off to be restained.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Alright, I just did the treatment on my two Savs, a Miele 611 and a Mattone 601. Considerably more gunk came out when I wiped out the chamber with a paper towel versus when the water was actually making its way through the shank, but then again, I don't smoke very often (0-3 bowls per week), so that's not really a surprise. Plus, I do run a pipe cleaner through the stem and the shank after each smoke, meticulously. Both are drying disassembled on a paper towel for an hour. I guess the true test will come when I take that first smoke, but seeing as I'm about as clumsy as Kramer, I'm very happy to have gotten through the flushing without disaster (whatever that could be).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Because the tobacco oils that may be adhering to the innards of the pipe aren't completely water soluble, I wonder if the pipe tasting fresher after a water flush has more to do with old ash not being present when you smoke the next time.
Hard to know, though when I do clean a pipe to put aside after use, it's REALLY clean.

I haven't given up on any pipe cleaning method that works. So I will use alcohol and/or water, depending on what result I'm getting. I'm practical about it. Use what works.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't know. I was going by Jesse's comment. Then again, jp just commented that he's never had a problem.

Should I or should I not? Oh, the problems I have. Haha.
Here's why I don't choose to use a warm or hot water flush on Vulcanite. From my friends and contacts in the pipe manufacturing industry I've been given to understand that hot water will encourage the migration of sulfur content to the surface, resulting over time in discoloration. Any such discoloration can be visually reduced by coating with a glossy material like wax or oil, but that's not the same thing as not being discolored.

So rather than deal with it, I remove the stem for cleaning with alcohol. BTW, I would be doing this anyway so that I can make sure that the mortise is well cleaned out, which can't be done unless the pipe is disassembled.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yeah, one caveat. I've had water wash out the stain on 3 or 4 Danish Stanwells. Not all of the stain but some. It's impossible to keep the water in the bowl and shank only and not touch the outside, so I slather wax on thick on the outside to protect it during the rinse if I think the stain will run.
Yes many pipes will have this happen. I bet 50% of pipes (possibly more) will lose stain by wiping them with a wet paper towel.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I decided to try this on an old Caminetto and immediately washed the stain off. Since this was a deeply carved pipe there was some residual stain in the lowest parts of the carving and the pipe looked like something the dog left in the yard. I had to send it off to be restained.
Exactly why I don’t recommend water for any pipes.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’m still don’t understanding why this is a controversial topic. So much more traffic exists towards it being beneficial to your smoking experience which is what this is all about. I haven’t done this yet, but I think I’m gonna start. ?

It may have already been stated in post’s past…but, does rinsing a Meerschaum negatively affect the pipe? ?☕
Because it removes stain and damages many pipes’ exterior. Same way water doesn’t penetrate the wood, neither does the stain so it’s often readily removed by some water.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Here's why I don't choose to use a warm or hot water flush on Vulcanite. From my friends and contacts in the pipe manufacturing industry I've been given to understand that hot water will encourage the migration of sulfur content to the surface, resulting over time in discoloration. Any such discoloration can be visually reduced by coating with a glossy material like wax or oil, but that's not the same thing as not being discolored.

So rather than deal with it, I remove the stem for cleaning with alcohol. BTW, I would be doing this anyway so that I can make sure that the mortise is well cleaned out, which can't be done unless the pipe is disassembled.
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation Jesse.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes many pipes will have this happen. I bet 50% of pipes (possibly more) will lose stain by wiping them with a wet paper towel.
I guess it depends on the nature of the stain and manner used by the manufacturer. While I try to keep the water flow controlled such that it merely fills the chamber to the rim while pouring out the end of the shank and not spilling over the finish, occasionally some does spill over the exterior. So far, none of my Britwood has been affected by contact, nor any of the artisan pipes I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.