PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I've tried it. Was it a revelation? No. Was it a disaster? No. People often get the results they want to get from their endeavors and as long as they are happy with it, more power to them.

Until someone else with actual advanced woodworking knowledge (not just pipe carving or garage carpentry but the ability to work with the science behind it) cares to have an informed discussion about it with the rest of us who do, it remains a personal choice with no verifiable evidence for or against. This is an extremely unpopular opinion on both sides of the issue though.
I know of no advanced woodworker who has the expertise that you seek. But try it yourself and you'll have the evidence that you want, verified by yourself. I'm not saying what result you'll get. You can judge for yourself there too.

Last edited:

Wildlands

Might Stick Around
Jan 17, 2022
NC, USA
Has anyone seen the direct effects of deterioration on vulcanite stems as a result of water flushing? I have been flushing some warm water through my stems as well and then immediately drying, but I’ll gladly stop doing this if it actually increases oxidation.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
For me the result was a profound improvement. The pipe thus treated simply tasted fresh in a way it hadn't for years.
Well, this does it for me. In all my years I've never used this technique to clean my pipes. I just used everclear or alcohol. But when Jesse says he found a profound improvement, that's like money in the bank in my book. I just gave my pipes a good deep cleaning last week, but already some of them are tasting, let's say ... not fresh. So I'm going to give this a try today.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Here’s another little dirty secret. I even take a drop of dish soap on my finger and rub it inside of the bowl under warm water. Clean is the name of the game and no, it doesn’t “ghost”. Does it “ghost” your dishes? Can you taste dish soap on your plates forks knives and spoons? Does it taint your coffee? No. But your pipe is now fresh and clean and ready to burn your favorite choco-vanilla-cherry-unicorn tobacco.

Do yourself a favor and rinse your saliva, gunk and ashes away. Come out of the Middle Ages.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Because the tobacco oils that may be adhering to the innards of the pipe aren't completely water soluble, I wonder if the pipe tasting fresher after a water flush has more to do with old ash not being present when you smoke the next time.
In most cases, I detect an ashy smell when I begin the water flush. It goes away in 5 to 10 seconds. This further convinced me the water flush was effective.

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
Has anyone tried water rinsing a silver capped pipe? When I rinse I have no issues but it gets all over the outside of the bowl. Will it mess up a Peterson silver capped pipe at all? I'm imagining some water will get in between where it was capped and onto the rim and wondering if that will cause tarnishing issues.

Reactions: Reggie

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Has anyone seen the direct effects of deterioration on vulcanite stems as a result of water flushing? I have been flushing some warm water through my stems as well and then immediately drying, but I’ll gladly stop doing this if it actually increases oxidation.
In my experience, hot water does not cause oxidation, but it sure will reveal it. A quick wipe with a cloth with mineral oil brings back the same looking surface as it was prior to contact with hot water. I've repeated this over 5 years or so, perhaps 800-1200 times on 60-70 pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Because the tobacco oils that may be adhering to the innards of the pipe aren't completely water soluble, I wonder if the pipe tasting fresher after a water flush has more to do with old ash not being present when you smoke the next time.
It is certainly a major factor!

Oils, and other residue from smoking don't need to be water soluble in order to be removed via hot water. It helps, but not required. Heat and friction do the work.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’m still don’t understanding why this is a controversial topic. So much more traffic exists towards it being beneficial to your smoking experience which is what this is all about. I haven’t done this yet, but I think I’m gonna start. ?

It may have already been stated in post’s past…but, does rinsing a Meerschaum negatively affect the pipe? ?☕

Status
Not open for further replies.