PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Where's the Carter Hall? It must be underneath all your good tobacco huh? :nana:
Jk not going down that road with you. Haha
Massive selection of tins, I wish I wasn't so boring sometimes.
My wife would kill me...

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
And I have been feeling guilty about having 40 pounds stored up. Thanks, Cosmic. I needed that!

Henry Hemingway has decided who has the problem.

AF944C68-0083-43F9-8F50-98CEEE6FAD19_zpsrorxrncp.jpg

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I'm packing up to move after about a decade. Here's my stash. I had estimated it at around 40-50 pounds but I've never really kept track. I do know I pretty much don't ever need to add more unless a favorite runs out. This picture doesn't include an additional 5 flats of half pint jars. I think I may have under-estimated the weight.
cIwUIyE.jpg

Well anyways now I feel like a hoarder.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That kitty person is adorable. The cellar looks good too, Cosmic, and I see you use the "organic method" of organization.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I only recently hit 200 pounds. :oops:
I admit to being a bit jealous of you and Zito.
Peck is so far out of range I just imagine what perusing his stash would be like...
Michael, that is a wonderful overflow you have (cupboards are still full, right?) and you kitty is adorable!!
I like to see variety in a cellar. Tastes change and you need to be ready for any eventuality. Except 1792. Not that. Never, that.

:rofl:

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I would be glad to help you get rid of some of that Cosmic, especially your Haddo's, just the kind of guy I am..

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Can one smoke that much tobacco within remaining lifetime?
2-3g per bowl (Friar Tom and I tested this one), a bowl per hour or hour and a half, means that every four hours of smoking one goes through 8-12g of tobacco, and smokers probably have 1-3 four-hour periods of smoking a day. The hardcores who always have a pipe in their mouths except for mealtime probably average 10-12 hours of smoking a day, and go through 20-36g per day. Most of us probably are at more like 15g per day.
Assuming then that smokers go through 15-36g per day, which comes out to 420-1008g per month or 15-36oz per month. Ever wonder why those old tobacco tubs were 14oz? Probably because that worked for the hardcore smokers buying every two weeks, and the rest of us picking one up every month or so. This is based on figuring that life is not constant so there are times when even the most hardcore cannot smoke (wedding, funerals, surgery that requires an oxygen mask, etc).
That gives us a figure, by the way, of about 12-27 pounds of tobacco consumed a year. I imagine some on this forum go over 30 pounds because they smoke constantly, work from home or are retired, and are nighthawks, meaning that they do not sleep much and the rest of the time, they are smoking. These are the ones to watch.
The good news is that, when presenting estimates to your wife, you must use this outside figure to account for the possibility that you might smoke up to that amount, because tobacco is like gasoline, you want to always have enough so that you never run out. If you are aging tobacco for ten years, then, you need to set aside 300 pounds of it to smoke during that time. Get to it!
Sorry if the math sucks. Early morning, no coffee.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Cosmic, about a year and a half ago I consolidated my tobacco into one room and I was stunned. I knew the numbers, but seeing it in one place was different. Way different. I feel your pain. But I also encourage your efforts.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I like the dresser a lot. For those of us who stash bulks, my ideal at least are some of those large deep closets with tight-sealing doors. No light, not too much air, in a nice arid and cool room. And while we are dreaming, I would like a smoking room on the top floor of a warehouse filled with Royal Yacht.

Oct 7, 2016
Hard to take people who wish for my demise, Sable.
My executor has Pipestuds contact info. At least my legacy won't go cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.