How Old When You Smoked Your First Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingshot61

Lurker
Mar 1, 2011
I was about 14. My family lived in Memphis Tn. and each summer i bed my folks to let me spend some of my summer time with my Grandparents in Mississippi. There is when i smoked my first Pipe, a home made corn cob, my Grandfather smoked Pipes and chewed ,Twist, Tobacco i had a small pinch of Twist,that was my first and last time on chewing Tobacco.

I'm 62 now and just love to sit and enjoy a good Pipe.

srharel

Lurker
Sep 9, 2010
I was 26, was living and working in Canada, and the tranquility prompt me to start inquiring about pipe smoking, which I always wanted to. Think my first pipe was a Peterson Aran that I got online from the US. Obviously I tried Brigham tobaccos, that are quite widespread in Canada, but as I got more experienced, I tried a whole variety of other makers.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
31. Hadn't even seen a pipe in years, beyond the silver screen or the pages of a book. Turned to the Internet and here I am.
Simon

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I was 14 and it was a homemade corncob and some prince albert lifted off my grandfather. Became a regular pipe smoker at 19. I'm 43 now and still love PA.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
About early 30's...bought a pipe from The Humidor inside Valle Fair Mall for about 40 bucks...then went to the local B&M and bouht some nice smelling tobacco...

Been off and on Cigs...for the past few weeks...Hopefully I can get to my pipe full time nad get rid of the stinky cigs...

briarbrian

Lurker
Mar 26, 2010
Fort Gratiot MI
I smoked my first pipe and the young age of 36. I made my first pipe at the tender age of 37 and was hooked on the whole pipe world after that, and still make em today with as much wonder about the wood as I did that very first pipe that I made.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I started at about 22 years of age. Cigarettes came later, but for only a few years. The pipe has always been my go-to smoking tool.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I started in 2002, when I was 40 years old. I bought a meerschaum pipe to decorate my office, and figured I'd try to smoke it..with a cherry blend, of course! I've never smoked a cigarette, never smoked a cigar, and never smoked dope. I may try a cigar someday, but will never try cigarettes or dope.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
when i was 18 i worked in an electrical supply house and the foreman had these straight pipes with tiny bowls - always one in his mouth and one in his breast pocket. next door was a drug store and i bought a bent pipe there one night - probably a grabow or medico. don't remember what kind of tobacco wasn't until decades later i even saw bulk tobacco in a shop. probably captain black or amphora. it lasted a while then i went back to cigarettes. idiot that i am.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I was 10 in 1965, having started cigerettes at the age of 7, couldn't afford this habit so my friends and I used to collect dog ends or butts to USA folks and break the unsmoked tobacco out of them and smoked this in roll-ups, my older Brother was a bit light handed and for reason only known to him came home with a couple of pipes that he had come upon in woolworths, I was 10 at this time and my Brother 11 1/2, so the gains from our tobacco collecting ended up in these pipes and we would sit puffing away on these in the shed at the bottom of our garden, we upped our level and started hunting down cigar butts and loaded these into our pipes, this was heaven and the craze spread to a few of our friends who stole pipes from their dads, granddads and few followed my brothers trip to woolworths, imagine 1/2 a dozen 10 to 12 year olds sitting in this shed puffing away, we did refine our tobaccos and proper pipe tobacco was being found from somewhere, I never asked, my Father never commented on all the smoke that used to waft from his shed, as time past we got better pipes and even paid for them and started to spend our hard earned pocket money on pipe tobacco. I was thrown out of school in 1970 at the age of 15 and was lucky to get into an apprenticeship that paid quite well and lucky to start a year ahead of my friends that had remained at school untill they were 16, anyway my first wage packet went on my first Peterson system pipe and the next on a Falcon which were all the rage then, still have these pipes, in fact I have never parted with a pipe in my life and became a collector before there was such a thing, well not to my knowledge, me and my brother spent years playing a one-upmanship against each other with the buying of pipes. Anyway 46 years on, I am still a pipeman and will always be.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
At 18 in 1981. I think it was late Summer, just before I started community college. A couple friends had bought pipes, I gave it a try, attempting to cut down/eliminate cigs, and really liked it.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I was 18, freshman year of college, it was borkum riff cherry in a .99 cob...nit sure how i ended up hooked starting with that

chestercopperpot

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2011
16 or so, my dad had found a leather pouch of pipe tobacco. He gave it to me and said 'Here's a leather pouch, just dump the tobacco out', so of course I didn't dump it! It was some kind of cherry blend. I was too young to buy a pipe (and lived in a tiny town so I don't think there were any to be bought) so I just made a big spliff out of some notebook paper. I smoked it while driving down country roads, and eventually had to stop at a ditch to puke my guts out!

Status
Not open for further replies.