How Old When You Smoked Your First Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I was 18 years old in college and a classmate offered the use of his "roommates" pipes and stash. Since my Dad smoked a pipe ... I thought "Why not?" We puffed and talked on for about a hour - but I just didn't get it. I knew nothing of packing, tamping etc. So it was a pretty shitty smoke. "And what a pain in the ass to keep lit!" I thought.
Joined the Marines and it was cigarettes all the way Baby at 35 cents a pack!
Flash forward 16 years later moved back to my home state CA and I knew I wanted to try the pipe again. Bought a nice Savinelli and a coffee flavored tobacco. Smoked for 3 days ("What a pain in the ass to keep lit...I just don't get it!!!") So into the garbage can. Later that evening - I was up late reading...which is my usual habit - and I thought "Gee...(I felt bad about the pipe)...so out it came for the very FINAL TRY. I sat down, packed the pipe, lit and just got back into reading my book. 20 minutes later "WOW" I got it...whatever "it" was - the elusive, undescribable "it" that I have pursued several times a day for the lates 21 years. Haven't ever looked back. Now if this pipe wasn't such a "pain in the ass" to keep lit ;-)

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
15, or maybe it was 14. Can't quite remember my exact age, but I was a little too young to enjoy pipe smoking to its fullest but mature enough to know that I was destined to be a pipe smoker. I smoked SWR in a borrowed (and pretty crappy) until I moved up to Borkum Riff and Amphora in a Dr. G, which became my signature smoke through my teens. I didn't really enjoy hiding out to fire up the pipe, but those secret smoke sessions provided enough enjoyment until I could afford a decent quality briar and start sampling better (non-mass-market) blends.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I was 20, in the Army 1982 stationed in Korea when I bought my first pipe from the PX. A zippo, Dr Grabow and a box of SWR. I just for something to do as I remember. It's still like that.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I was 21 and received my first, a Sasieni billiard, as a gift from my girlfriend at the time. Guess she was trying to classy me up :lol: I had no peers to learn from, just bought whatever tickled my fancy from the local B&M--a lot of Perique went through my pipe back then, I found it a good accompaniment to the vats of Scotch I was drinking. Smoked semi-regularly then for a couple years, then only occasionally until about a year and change ago when I picked up that old Sasieni, gave her a good scrub and dropped the cigarette habit so that I could actually enjoy tobacco. Still love that St James pepper.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
17. I had asked my 18 year old friend to buy me some Middleton's cherry cigars to celebrate my graduation from high school, but he didn't know what he was doing* and bought me a box of Middleton's cherry pipe tobacco. I handed him another $20 and said, "*$%& it, go get me a pipe, too." I loved the way my grandfather's house (and car) smelled, so I figured I might as well enjoy that same pipe aroma.
I had to hide it from my folks until I left for college, but that wasn't so tough. I found out a few years ago, however, that my parents met at a college party where my father was............wait for it............smoking a pipe. They both know that I smoke now, and I haven't gotten any *$&% for it yet, so I guess they're cool with it.
*This same friend attended my bachelor party, and while at the...ahem..."museum", he asked if his jaeger bomb could be made with sugar free red bull. He'll never live that down.

wizbang

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2011
Two weeks before my 17th birthday, still smokin it strong at 18! It is nice to be able to buy your own tobacco lol! Oh and a Kaywoodie standard.

foldedflat

Lurker
May 17, 2011
I was 18 (so this was 11 years ago). On the advice of the tobacco store owner, I bought a basket pipe and an 8oz tin of MacBaren Black Ambrosia.
I was disappointed because the tobacco was hard to keep lit, and smoked hot. I didn't know about drying out tobacco.. then I accidentally snapped the pipe shank (by sitting on it when climbing into a vehicle) and the tin dried itself out beyond smokability. It was far too much tobacco for a newbie to have on hand, really.
I gave up until I was 22, when I utilized the wonder that is the interwebs to find out what went wrong :)

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I was 20 at the local b&m and got a starter kit. Then, I got on cigarettes till this last year. Started thinking about pipes again. They were just so much more in fashion in college at bars (after I nearly caught a shirt on fire). Rediscovering them has certainly been grand.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
i was 17 and living away from home dont remember the pipe tobaco was cherry blend of some kind. smoked pipes until my 30's quit and restarted last year. forgot how enjoyable a pipe could be.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
[It was in 1953,I was 19yrs old and on a ship in S Australia.I was walking past a shop and saw a pipe with a great looking yellow bowl in the window.I went in and bought it and the rest they say is history.Don't remember the first tobacco when I bought the pipe.The first name that comes to mind is Prince Albert,I remember buying some in Perth Amboy NJ.I liked the tin and it was many years after that I tried a Latakia blend but I would still like to try Prince Albert again after all these years,don't think you can get it this side of the water though.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I was around 15 or 16 when I bought my first pipe in a drug store. I don't recall the brand for certain, but I remember it was a metal pipe with a wooden bowl, possibly a Falcon or something similar. I didn't stick with it and have nonidea what happened to the pipe.
I started smoking a pipe more regularly while in the Navy a few years later.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I bought my first Kaywoodies as a teen in the late '60's but never really got into the pleasure fully. For many years I lit up rather infrequently, but I always had a tin of Capt. Black White on my desk. I really picked up the pleasure about five years ago and now I'm a four to five bowl a day man loving my Latakia. I've purchased most of my pipes (about 25 in my collection) in the last five years and my tobacco bar now holds about 15 blends. Haven't had any of the Capt. around and don't really miss it. Always enjoy a smoke first thing in the morning and last thing at night and about three bowls through each day. I guess in my case it's all about time. In past years I had little relaxation time. A pipe requires spare time to savor the pleasure. My sons are grown, my day job, night job and weekend job days are over and retirement has kicked in. My best pipe enjoyment days have taken a turn for the better and I enjoy them immensely.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Let's see, for me, I started with cigarettes in high school back in the late 1970s, and sometime during the late 1980s or just before the first Iraq War in 1991 I took up the pipe as a substitute, and never looked back. Its true on a rare occasion I will go through a pack of Marlboro but that's maybe once a year, if that. Of course, in the early 90s I was (and still am somewhat) a fan of Captain Black (White), and then progressed quickly into the English and Balkan Blends, as well as the plug and flake VAs. The pipe has allowed me to slow down my life and to literally stop and smell the flowers, so to speak. So I guess now going on for 20+ yrs.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
38 Years old and I smoked my first bowl of Captain Black original in an unknown brand English estate pipe I scored on ebay for about $15 including shipping. I just got a tin of Dunhill EMP from pipesandcigars.com and I'm really likeing the flavor from that one. I won my second pipe tonight, a Kaywoodie flame-grain.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
32, started beginning of this year with a corncob and some Clan. That tobacco was horrible and i would have stopped were it not for this site and the reviews of others. Everyone was talking about the tastes they were getting from the myriad of other tobaccos available. I thought that there must be something in this that i'm missing, so i went and got some Lanes 1Q and Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.
Those tobaccos changed my opinion on pipe smoking and i've not looked back since :puffpipe:

onemangang

Might Stick Around
May 20, 2011
This is my first post and I feel it is very appropriate.
I was 16 years old when I bought and smoked my 1st pipe in 1986. It was a "nice" basket pipe from Tinder Box.

I grew up going to a hardware store in Cochran, GA. A gentleman by the name of J.T. Pritchet owned and worked in the store. He constantly had a pipe hanging from his mouth which spewed the most amazing fragrance. As I grew older I got the nerve to ask Mr. J.T. what he smoked. His reply was Tinder Box Half North Sea and Half Sunset. I was very under age but the folks at Tinder Box hooked me up!
I smoke different blends now, mostly aromatics though. I still love that old blend of Mr. J.T.'s though!

Status
Not open for further replies.