How Old is Too Old? Prince Albert in a Can!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
She made me a deal. (I think...) $150 for both boxes. So now 24 tins, unopened, waiting a throw of the dice.
I don’t think the option to buy 90 year old tobacco will come around too often to be honest so the tobacco will be what it will be and hopefully smokeable for you.

One suggestion, if it is like the dust in the pyramids of Giza - sell some tins on to someone who runs a prop company for films. I was an extra, years ago, on a HBO series and one thing the props department struggled to get was original, authentic, everyday disposable items like match books, cigarette cartons, tins and cans etc. Any original items that could be found had obvious wear, even if they were “mint” because they had sat on someone’s shelf or in someone’s drawer and they had taken knocks, gained some rust and a few chips in their decades of existence.

I bet they would bite your arm off at the chance of getting their hands on that for the next WWII epic??

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Alas, Pipestud says no. Well, okay. Can't sell tobacco on ebay anymore. Other suggestions for where to sell ancient tobacco online?

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Interesting development: the PA box has tabs so I could open it without disturbing glue. Found a website that has the changes in PA tins and this box is from 1961-62: pre-zip code but post some small text changes on the tin. So now the tobacco must be good, right? (I'm kidding.) No way to open the Velvet box to check dates. It's all glued up. Box seems older, more tatty. Hm...

Reactions: Ahi Ka

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I bought a mid-1970s tin of George Washington from pipestud a few years ago and opened it. It was still "fresh" enough to smoke. The tobacco was soft and supple but didn't need any drying out either.

You may get lucky and the Prince Albert will be like that. Won't know until you try it.

Reactions: fireground_piper

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Yes, I do still have Prince Albert in a can. And yes, my refrigerator is running. But I don't understand...ahhhhhh, stop it! You young kids and your crank phone calls!!!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have often wondered when Prince Albert was on his death bed if the conversation went something like this.....
Albert: 'Darling Victoria I am dying..."
Victoria: 'I know Albert and I intend to name a concert hall in London in your honor'
Albert: 'That's boring Victoria. I want you to name a pipe tobacco and penis piercing after me....'
Victoria: 'Albert you're dead.........'
Servant: 'Your Majesty. Take the pillow off your husbands face please'

Status
Not open for further replies.