How Old is Too Old? Prince Albert in a Can!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Stumbled upon an antique shop that has an unopened box of 12 Prince Albert tins (also, of course, unopened). Price seems okay, if the tobacco is still good. Seller says they are from the 1930s. Anyone have experience with tobacco tins this old? Any hope of the tobacco being smokeable?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OzPiper

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Right, I supposed it could always be re-hydrated. And, yeah, Prince Albert, but aged PA...? Would that age well? Just no one really talks about that b/c it is commonplace, I suppose.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
to my mind if the containers are worth it and you'd like that novel stuff then buy it and hope the tobacco is good. If not then good chance you'll get mummy dust. No one thought the tobacco would sit on a self for decades. The thing is it's kind of a rare chance no matter the out come. I wouldn't break the bank but if the price is half way decent it seems like it would be cool to have either way.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sure. It's a gamble, but it could be fine. If some has gone to dust, other tins may be good. It's an adventure right there in your smoking chair. If it's wonderful, I don't think you're going to find any more like it, but you have plenty.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
If they need rehydrating you can always just load a bowl and gently breathe through the top of the chamber. Or even mix in some current PA/Velvet with the old stuff to bring into case.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have had PA from the 1950s. When you open the tin by flipping the inserted lid you will find it is in a waxed paper. Since it was packed dry it will probably be alright. If it says 'Crimp Cut' on the tin then it is really old as that was for either pipes or RYO. I tried rolling it once and I didn't find it really interesting but then I grew up with Nut Brown and Old Holborn!

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Status
Not open for further replies.