PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Cheap? It's well over 50% tax!!! And it keeps rising.. Will light a pipe before I start foaming at the mouth lol but the average at the mo is about £5 per 25g what's the cost your end?
EDIT***
Oh wait I see what I did.. Subtract a zero from those figures! I don't think I could physically smoke 750g a week.. Will settle with 75g lol
In Canada, at least locally 25g is worth a staggering $19.23.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thant's what happened to all of the C&D Manhattan Afternoon! JK!
Thanks for the link to your cellar. Love to be envious of others' stash of tobacco... I love how varied it is. Makes me feel better about my direction-less cellar...
-Jason

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I typically order around 4-5 pounds of tobacco, a few times a year. Most of that is adding up in the cellar. I am only smoking around 2 bowls a day at present, but I expect that to change a bit when I give up these cigarettes.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I usually just pick up a tin here or there and sometimes I'll grab 2 ounces of a house aromatic or two. When I first started I was buying three or four tins at a time probably every 2-3 months. Now I have a decent collection of tobaccos and only add a new one here or there. In the last few weeks I've jumped to smoking about two bowls a day, so I'm sure the tobacco will start to dwindle more quickly.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I suppose I'll pick up a pound of 1Q every 6 weeks or so, along with a tin or two of something that has garnered my attention. (Usually something someone makes a post about that piques my curiosity.) And, I try to buy one tin of something special for my meager cellar, to be opened... who knows when.

scallywag58

Lurker
Mar 30, 2011
I buy two 25g tins every two weeks, one for use the other for the cellar!

One tin lasts me just about two weeks at the present rate, it'll be more once the sunny days appear here in the UK!!! hhhhhhhmmmmmm sunny days!! more pipe, hmmmm! just what the Doctor ordered...

kodiakred13

Lurker
Apr 1, 2011
West Coast BC
I live here in Canada.

I'm too keen on paying what the going rate is here in BC.($25-$35 every 2oz.)

So I order from the US. I don't fancy paying the duty on it ether.

We are allowed 200grams (8oz.) for import without paying duty.

So I order that amount every 14 days. I am slowly working towards a cellar of tobacco.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
My ordering habits mirror kodiakred's; but its not just 200g that CBSA watches for - if you import (anything) with a dollar value greater than $20, you can be dinged (although they do seem to be letting alot slip past, thankfully).
I still maintain that getting dinged with the 95% tax at Customs is still a better deal than we can get though our local B&M's. Here in Vancouver, I've seen tins of Peterson IF marked at $39.99. If you look at the same product via a U.S. based etailer, the cost of one tin is around $10. Shipping will run you about the same (but who is going to order one tin, right?), so your into it for $20 now. At the border, it gets dinged, but only the original cost of the product, not the shipping, so you have to pay $10 in taxes to take receipt of your tin. In the end though, you still come out ahead of the game to the tune of $9.99.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I buy a lot - at least 1-2 pounds a month. I usually get 2-4 ounces of something new to try - and if I like - I order 4-8 ounces more - which I put in my tobacco bin (pop cooler). Since I like variety - this gives me something to always to look forward to as I pick several different blends a day to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.