stuff you feel,

the kind of stuff you reach for

when you fall.
acknowledgement to Guy Clark

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Out of my collection, I have two that I've never smoked.

Both are previously smoked estates, one with a broken tenon and shank, and the other has a severe burnout along the bottom and side of the bowl.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Ive bought many that were unsmoked. They don't stay that way for long. I bought a pipe about a year ago that is over 100 years old and unsmoked.

I cleaned it up and proceeded to fire it up.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
None at the moment. I usually light up shortly after buying. However, I could see the day that a piece might be better kept unsmoked, esp. a vintage or strictly a artistic acquisition. Having said that, I just received three pre-transition Barling's and they are being smoked. Heaven.
Richard

]null [/url] ]null

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
About 10 unsmoked, A couple Stanwells, a Sherlock/Watson Meer set, Peterson Special Editions, a flawless Boswell. Also several MM.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Zero. I have smoked all the pipes I own.
I have maybe half a dozen that are too large, or bad smokers and I don't have the heart to throw away. I have some that need to get fixed. I have a meer that draws terribly, like trying to drink a thick milkshake through a straw.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a few. The unsmoked 1907 Barling companion set that I own is going to stay unsmoked by me. I also have a couple of unsmoked later Barlings, a couple of early '30's Kaywoodies, a couple of unsmoked Paul Tatum pipes, and a couple of unsmoked wax drip pipes that I commissioned. I like having these few pieces in their original condition. I also have a few antique pipes that I've smoked once or twice that are in too delicate a state to see much use, so I've retired them.
But I'm primarily a smoker, not a collector, so everything else, of whatever venerable age, gets smoked. And as I have no shortage of great pipes to smoke, I feel no compulsion to smoke any of these exceptions.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
0 I use all of my pipes 2 of them I use only on occasion but the rest get used as often as I can.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I only have one unsmoked pipe, an 03 Peterson Dracula. Bought it just to have it since it was a limited run and I love the Dracula movies. All other pipes I own are smoked, though I have one that I haven't smoked in months because the bowl is small and it is shit for smoking: quick gurgle, too small, hate the finish.

Interesting how we all pretty much intend or have smoked all of our pipes. Also, interesting how we didn't hear from any of the pure collectors that used to pop up in these types of discussions. The non-smoking pipe collectors. Are they even still participating on here anymore, or did they run out of things to comment on when Peck and Harris stopped posting so many new high end and custom acquisitions?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I have 20-30 that I haven't smoked. Many are estates, and just haven't got to them yet. Some, I'll never smoke. I have a 1964 Dunhill that is new in the box, I like looking at it, but I won't smoke it. I think pipes are MORE than just "tools" as many have said............If that was the case why buy an artisan pipe?, why go for the killer grain?, the awesome stemwork?

We can collect AND Smoke-- I don't see it as a one or the other camp. I do both. I do it with guns too, got quite a few that I'll never shoot, and have never been fired, but I also have ones that I shoot often.

These types of threads always interest me!!

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
At the moment i have 2 unsmoked MM missouri Prides, 2 Short Stops, a Ser Jacopo Modica and an Amorelli Fertility.

The cobs are waiting for the moment i decide to finally dip my toe in the aromatic side of the pool.

The Ser Jacopo has a massive bowl (by my standards) and i'm waiting for the right moment. But i sure love its looks.

The Amorelli... Well i got it as a prize in a slow-smoke competition and i'm still debating whether i'm gonna keep it or not, so it goes unsmoked for the moment to protect the value.
That's quite a few out of the 11 pipes total, but I only smoke a bowl a day, two on the weekends at most, so with the 5 or 6 pipes that get the most use i've got the rotation covered.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Unsmoked:
IMG_20140410_013637_639_zps905a595a.jpg

Actually I have a few more I just have not got around to yet. Most of those I have marked to resell at some point and I don't want to have to do another major cleaning on them. I've got around 120 pipes now so I'm not hurting for new smoking experiences. I don't have as many as ejames, but I'm working on it!

mattsem

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2014
the name is on them, "smoking pipes"

so they need to be smoked

i have 4 new pipes on the way and i will be smoking all 4 as soon as they arrive

Status
Not open for further replies.