PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
The number depends on how often you smoke, types of tobacco, activities, as well as how much rest you want to give those puppies.I would say about 80.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
You count them?

icon_long.gif

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Heh. My wife was asking me the same question the other day, and it turns out that she's not a fan of the egg carton that I've been using as a pipe rack - she'd been checking eBay for pipe racks, and needed to know if the 15-pipe model she'd found would be big enough. :D
Yes, as it turns out - I've got 6 briars and 7 currently active cobs (plus a couple of unsmoked ones just in case).
As for the proper number, it's N+1, where N equals the number of pipes currently owned.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
So far....38. Four I bought new, the rest have been estate restorations. I ocassionally buy more pipes, but I'm much pickier now.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Around 24. Not enough! t's fun buying new pipes and its one of the few things I buy for myself. Everything else to to the kids college tuition.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I don't have that many, but they've all been "blessed" by Bill Clinton's office assistant. lol
kidding...

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
This x100:
"Let's face it, no one needs 50-500 pipes but the thrill of the chase and the feeling of seeing that brown truck pull up is orgasmic to many pipe smokers. I remember the days when I couldn't go one week without buying a new or estate pipe. I used to scour ebay and the on line estate dealers for hours at a time, day after day. I would get a case of PAD that could not be controlled, I was totally addicted and I loved the feeling. "
I unloaded a few at the Chicago pipe show, and I've got plans to list some on here. If anyone is in the market for anything, please let me know. I'm trying to sell a bit of everything, from Grabows to Castellos and everything in between (literally).

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
Lets face it, it depends on the individual how many pipes they have.Each pipe has its own characteristics.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
Right now, I only have 5 pipes. Perhaps I will add one or two more, but I am currently just interested trying more tobacco. Thinking about a straight billard without a really thick shank. After that, not sure what else will tickle my fancy. I wouldn't know what to do with 50 plus pipes. Must be nice having so many cool looking pipes.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Due to my rotation from when I was earning, and sjb3's incredible gift (I'm not going to stop bringing up his name, so you might as well resign yourselves to it now) I am pipe and tobacco rich. I have 47 pipes, 20 of which are cobs.
Favorites are the 'mushroom' straight rusticated my bro carved me, a teeny Butz Choquin straight smooth billiard that has been with me since the beginning, an Albany Canadian I got from this site, the Nording Horn sjb3 gave me, and for some reason, a proper Comoy's straight smooth billard also from sjb3.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm at around seventy pipes now. I've got three new estates from ebay in front of me right now I'll be taking into the shop for restoration today. My favorite ones are the jumbo Wellingtons, but sometimes I'll just grab a random pipe off the rack.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I am at 18 pipes - not bad for 3 months. I promised myself that I would stop purchasing factory pipes and stick to commissions from now on. I just commissioned two pipes from carvers I liked at Chicago.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I miscalculated my latest PAD problems. 47 from today's count, but several "new" estates need a good cleaning so they didn't exist in my head . . .
. . . or my ledger as far as my Wife is concerned.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wish you hadn't asked me that. I thought I had 52, but I forgot that little trip to the pipe show. So on recount,

it appears I have 57. About ten go way back in time, 30 to almost 40 years, what I call my one-owner estate pipes.

The rest have been bought in the past three years or so, mostly, a few in the interim between the early pipes and

the recent ones. I'd recommend owning about 20 to 30 as an optimal number for good maintenance and keeping

them all well-smoked. But oops, that PAD will get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.