Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
How many pipes?
I don't know...

No matter how many you have... It ain't enough.
I don't dedicate pipes, but....

Some pipes do Aros better than others, and same goes for English blends.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

dtallan

Lurker
Jan 10, 2011
I have 54 pipes split between English and Va/Per blends. I havn't smoked Aromatics in years, but in the day those were my GBD's. I do smoke anything in my 5 meer's.

cavemanz

Lurker
Dec 21, 2010
That is a good article Bob...Genre Dedication would be my choice for now...."It is a lot more economical than Strict Dedication and not much more expensive than No Dedication".
need to have some dedication given my experience with the sweet ghost left by Maddleton Wine Berry...
this site is off limit to my wife as she will know where the money usually go....
there is a tobacconist and a pipe shop near my office in KL and i am one of their frequent visitors...falling in love with another pipe....probably getting one later today :D

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I got up to 25 pipes or so, and it actually started causing me stress: "Which pipe is best for X tobacco?" "What if I don't smoke this pipe enough now? It cost so much, I need to be smoking it more often" etc.
I had to whittle it down just to settle my head. Now I've settled to a dirty dozen or so, with a side collection of Jost Pipes, because I feel the need to represent the StL.
Right now that's:
English Smokers:

Savinelli Punto Oro 320KS

Stanwell Prestige Freehand

Dunhill 4111

Dunhill Cumberland Cherrywood

Stanwell Silver S Apple
Virginia's and VaPer's:

Radice TB Billiard (specializes in flakes)

Radice G Poker

Radice Silk Cut Poker

Jost Chubby Rhodesian

Savinelli Giubileo D'Oro Billiard
Aromatics:

Various Jost Billiards
Still breaking in and too early to tell:

Castello Lovat

Sara Eltang Dublin

Stanwell Prestige Apple/Author Freehand

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I'm topping 50+ pipes now, some get smoked, others are collected. I've not dedicated any, but then again, I smoke infrequently and usually just two or three brands; not big on being a pipe tobacco connoisseur.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Wolfscout;
I'm topping 50+ pipes now, some get smoked, others are collected. I've not dedicated any, but then again, I smoke infrequently and usually just two or three brands; not big on being a pipe tobacco connoisseur.
Eventually I would like to get to that point Wolfscout,.....there are too many tobaccos in my stash at this point,....twenty-three of them.

The ones that I'm not crazy about will probably get smoked up but not be replenished. I could probably get by with ten of them perhaps,.....but I just can't toss the the other twelve out. Someday I may play with a few combinations of those twelve just to use them up.
I like the idea of marking the pipes to indicated it's dedicated genre or blend....I just refer to a print out kept by my tobaccos.

I choose my smoke by the tobacco, and then go get it's pipe. Not being experienced enough to be able to tell what actually tastes best in a particular pipe, I base the match on how long a smoke I want.

For instance....it doesn't take me very long to get my fill of strong tobaccos with a pretty good nicotine whollop, so they get smoked in small bowled pipes. Light English, aromatics, and burleys get smoked in larger pipes,....and my favorite; Frog Morton on the Town gets smoked in the largest pipe I have!

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
@ Tommy , I've purchased, traded and bartered various blends over the years. I suppose my high level of infrequency has left me thinking there's not much difference to notice. I've not Acquired that refined taste similar to wine and Chief's cooking taste buds. I just know a pipe smokes well and for how long and that is what relaxes me. The size is important to whether the tobacco's dryness as well.

Ahhh ... perhaps one day... I can achieve such a level as those connoisseurs who can smoke a unlabeled blend and tell you what is in it and where it came from maker label wise. But ... even disabled ... I do not have time to play with my tobaccos that way.

directshot

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2010
Best thing about enjoying what you do ..... there really isn't any right or wrong way to approach it. If you enjoy it .... make up your own rules. If someone doesn't agree with your approach have them purchase your next order of tobacco or perhaps that high dollar pipe you always wanted for your collection. 8O

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
I have over 25 or so, but really only rely on a small group of superior performers...but I too sort between aromatic, latakia based and VAPER.

Status
Not open for further replies.