PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
About 20 years ago, I made myself a cabinet that would hold 11 pipes of various 'normal' lengths and two churchwardens for a total of 13. I only filled it for the first time this year. It's important for me to set hard limits on myself.
85% of my smoking is done in a woodshop, tho, so the two pipes (of the 13, yes I see the loophole) that pretty much live in my travel bag get nearly all the use.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Daggone, broom, sorry to hear about the broken. Really royally sucks when it's your baby too. :(
Me, God only knows, & I don't think She's telling. At least 60, probably closer to 80 or so, I honestly don't know. I've got 3-4 12-count racks that are always mostly full, plus another 2 dozen at least that I keep loose in the car or on end tables lying around. Seriously. I truly couldn't tell you within 10 plus/minus....
Bill

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
11 briars get used regularly. A few, maybe 5-6 have been banished to a drawer and will serve as sample pipes for aromatics. My cobs aren't very good and are rarely used. I'm going to add a few good clenchers for daily use and a meer or two eventually. I'm in no hurry and I'm not badly inflicted with PAD.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I have around 75(ish) pipes, not counting the corn cobs I have strategically stashed about.

Every three months (or so) I deep clean my current rotation, store them away after they're thoroughly dried, and set out a fresh 15-25 pipes. Of those, I pretty much smoke 10 (or so) to death, until they're ready for their deep cleaning again.

Clean; dry; store; repeat.

I'm pretty happy with my accumulation, but do pick up the occasional addition. I've set my personal limit to 100 briars... and have a short wish list of desired pipes I still want to purchase. For me, personally, more than 100 pipes seems as though they wouldn't get smoked as much as I'd like.

... But, ask me again in a year; I'm sure I'll have new excuses.

ken56

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2018
Wow some very serious Pipe smokers here! Duh - Where else would you be...

I have a lot of catching up to do - all in good time.
I noticed some of you folks own the metal stem Falcon's - Maybe someone can enlighten me about there appeal.
K

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I noticed some of you folks own the metal stem Falcon's - Maybe someone can enlighten me about there appeal.
I can only answer for me.
They're ugly, ugly pipes, for me there is no visual appeal. I only bought mine as a practical outdoor travel pipe but falcons smoke so damn well that I find myself reaching for it more and more. They're a bit like cobs in that they smoke far above their price point but they're just not aesthetically pleasing.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
I would never buy a metal Falcon pipe or a cob and only because of the appearance. The visual part is important for me as I'm attached to my pipes in some way. I think it is part of the pipe experience.

To answer the question, I have 10 pipes at the moment, but soon this number will grow as I would like to buy 3 pipes at the moment. I'm a pipe smoker since I was 15 (now I'm 30) but I couldn't afford a collection until now so now I'm making up for the missed pipes and tobaccos. I burnt out my first 2 hardwood pipes (they were very cheap and I was inexperienced) so I don't count them. Pipe smoking is a life-long love for me I guess. I'm lucky that my wife likes the smell of pipe smoke too.

ken56

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2018
I can understand the dislike to their appearance - sort of future like - How do they Smoke compared to the Briar's?
"I only bought mine as a practical outdoor travel pipe but falcons smoke so damn well that I find myself reaching for it more and more. They're a bit like cobs in that they smoke far above their price point"
- So I see - Falcon's are considered to be a Good pipe.

Thank you

K

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's a fictitious plan for having only a limited number of high end pipes. Put a savings plan in place toward artisan, commissioned, and high end pipes, that doesn't impede paying bills, gifts for family, vacations and other important expenses. Buy a bag of cobs for a rotation. Buy one high-end pipe a year, and spend the rest of the time learning about the next purchase. And quit at a dozen. No one does this, but just to paint a picture.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Umm let's see
Eight X105 Petersons

Two Kinsale Petersons (a variation on the Sherlock Holmes collection)

Set of Two 'Mark Twain' Petersons

One Maigret Peterson
All these get smoked regularly
In addition:
One new Vauen LOTR Churchwarden

Three Meers (two of which are a Holmes and Watson set I bought in Turkey)

One no-name freehand which was a gift (I made a post about this one when I first joined the forum)
These get smoked now and then
Plus a handful which never get smoked these days, including a couple of ancient Falcons which I cannot remember where they came from!
I suppose it adds up to about 22
Mike

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I was lazy and didn't hand transfer my P&T Foundations database to a spread sheet when P&T quit supporting it and now I cant access the software so I don't know how many pipes I have but I always tell my wife I have about a dozen. It really sucks, most of the notes I kept on the history of pipes in the collection is gone. 8O

ken56

Might Stick Around
Sep 30, 2018
"Here's a fictitious plan for having only a limited number of high end pipes. Put a savings plan in place toward artisan, commissioned, and high end pipes, that doesn't impede paying bills, gifts for family, vacations and other important expenses. Buy a bag of cobs for a rotation. Buy one high-end pipe a year, and spend the rest of the time learning about the next purchase. And quit at a dozen. No one does this, but just to paint a picture."
Sounds like a Interesting idea! Though I am not a big Cob fan - Holding at 12 makes a lot of sense. I guess one day at a time will steer me in the right direction. Time will tell.
K

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ken56, buying stuff is always a momentary high, and pipes seem to sustain a glow even after you buy them, and sometimes for years to come. And as mentioned earlier on the thread, I really enjoy the variety in price levels, origins and characteristics of pipes. But I always admire the members who have a limited number of pipes, and if I could keep it to twelve, or twenty, I think high-end would be an extra. I don't know if I have that kind of discipline in the face of enthusiasm.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
After six months, I've ended up having total of four: The one I started with (no good quality, made of some kind of Wood), one briar (Peterson), Missouri Meerschaum General MacArthur, and lastly Strambach Vienna meerschaum. So I have strategically tested different types of materials, and I hope to buy a Clay pipe next.

Status
Not open for further replies.