Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I would bring two cobs a briar and a meer. I would smoke the cobs the most, the briar every night for that end of the day smoke, and the meer just in case.
John

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I understand that Falcolns can take more of a beating than briar can, so with those,your 2 Petes, and a cobyou should be OK.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Maybe i need to pick up a falcon sometime. Not sure ive heard anyone talk bad about them.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Take 1 or 2 pipes less than you need with you and when you arrive slap your forehead... "Omg i forgot some of my pipes i must go and find a B&M to rectify this problem or my smoking holiday will be ruined!"
:rofl:
Kris I would go with about 4-5... I just returned last night from 4 days out of state and survived quite well with 2 pipes... a couple of weeks ago I was out of state for 8 days and survived quite well with 4 pipes... but I didnt have the chance to smoke more than 2 bowls a day. sometimes one.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
kris, if you are planning on being outside most of the day which is normal for a vacation, I would be real nervous about having a burnout on the 7-10th bowls. I know they are falcons but briar is still briar. I would think about doing that to your Petes, they are not meant to be smoked 10 times in one day and especially outside.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
kris, if you are planning on being outside most of the day which is normal for a vacation, I would be real nervous about having a burnout on the 7-10th bowls. I know they are falcons but briar is still briar. I would think about doing that to your Petes, they are not meant to be smoked 10 times in one day and especially outside.
Actually thats a very solid point cigrmaster... Kris maybe you should stock up on some cobb's

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I just got back a couple weeks ago from an 8 day trip. I packed 6 briars and a cob. I bought a cob o the trip and ended up using only the 2 cobs and two briars. Granted, I only smoked 1-3 bowls/day but packing and keeping track of all the briars was more "work" than it needed to be. Next time I'll take 2-3 cobs and two briars.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Wasn't sure if this question belonged here or in the noobs forum, apologies if I got it wrong...
We have a noob forum? WHERE?!
I'd bring 14 pipes. 2 pipes a day; rotate. I have zero experience putting a briar pipe through 8-10 bowls a day. I'd say you're the expert on what your pipes can take by now. No need to listen to these yahoos.
Don't forget to snap some photos on the trip for us. :wink:

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
The way I smoke my Falcons (everyday) is to smoke one then move on to the next in line. This means each probably gets smoked twice a day (I don't usually carry the spare bowls around with me, just swap them out now & again".
I was planning on sticking as closely to this regime as possible, then smoking my Pete's in the evening, you know, when I'm dressed up all fancy-like. :wink:

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
take em all, you don't need underwear n socks...
and you can always say, "honey, i need a pipe to remind me of this wonderfull time we are spending together as a family, i am going to buy a new one in honor of this."

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Don't forget to snap some photos on the trip for us.

Be sure to get a picture of the wife's face when she opens her suitcase and finds it full of pipes and tobacco instead of the clothes she thought she had packed. :laughat:

tomsmithusa

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2012
Southern Oregon
Philip-- Be sure to get a picture of the wife's face when she opens her suitcase and finds it full of pipes and tobacco instead of the clothes she thought she had packed.
I laughed out loud by the time I got to the bottom of this thread and read this one.
Lots of good tips I echo, here: purchasing while on vacation, corn cob pipes travel well, cigrmastr's tips is how I roll, too, as a soggy pipe is not fun for me to smoke, but it sounds like you don't mind it.
Keep in mind possibility of lost luggage, delayed, and pack one or two on your carry-on luggage. I can squirrel away a few matches usually. Good pipe pouches help with storage, all-in-one case sort of convenience. But, travel can be hard on pipes so just know.
I hope it's a fun trip. Let us know, if you don't mind, anything that was learned or successful with your pipes.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
So, I just got back.
Had a fantastic time, which was in no small part due to sitting with fellow smokers of all kinds & nationalities in the evenings.
As expected, the Falcons did their job well. Smoked them throughout the day (we were on a cruise). Don't think I even touched my cobs or basket pipes...
Smoked my Petes in the Cigar Lounge in the evenings.
Also picked up 2 new pipes on the trip. An absolute POS briar in Izmir that cost about $3 but smokes like an *expletive deleted* dream. And a really nice meer that I got in a bazar in Istanbul for a really good price (after lots of haggling!). Both will remind me of my holiday. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.