PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
As I mentioned in another thread, in a couple of days I shall be in foreign climes enjoying an annual rest (with mother, wife &5yr old daughter...yeah,right!)
This will be my first time on a holiday as a pipe smoker though...just wondering how many pipes you fellas take with you on a foreign trip?
I'll probably smoke about 8-10 bowls a day if Lady Luck is on my side...
(Wasn't sure if this question belonged here or in the noobs forum, apologies if I got it wrong...)

jsiddle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2012
Well if a bowl usually lasts an hour, and they say let it cool for an hour (just numbers I am throwing out, you know how long your bowls last)
Then math says you would get by with two pipes, one rests while one smokes, and thats back to back...
So I guess it all depends if you have certain pipes for certain blends, or types of baccy, ie one for english, one for aero...
I would take 4-5 if it were me :)

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Take 1 or 2 pipes less than you need with you and when you arrive slap your forehead... "Omg i forgot some of my pipes i must go and find a B&M to rectify this problem or my smoking holiday will be ruined!"

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
Take 1 or 2 pipes less than you need with you and when you arrive slap your forehead... "Omg i forgot some of my pipes i must go and find a B&M to rectify this problem or my smoking holiday will be ruined!"
Fell out of my seat laughing lol

vinvin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
That is probably the best way to go about this! sixmp you sir are a genius!

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
I generally take 3 when I travel. Smoke a pipe all day long, then rest it for 2 days. After I get back home I give all 3 a nice long extended rest.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would take one pipe for each day if you are going to be smoking that many bowls a day. I would rest a pipe a week at least if I was smoking 8 bowls a day in it.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
I agree 100% with cigrmaster, however I often do not take my own advice. And I pack light. :D

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I rarely smoke more than 2 bowls a day so I usually bring 3 or 4 pipes so that my pipe always gets at least a days rest before being smoked again. I dunno how you guys that smoke 8 to 10 bowls a day do it. I find that after bowl number 2 in the same pipe I get progressively worse moisture issues.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
I'm not in the 8-10 bowl category, more like 4-6. If I run a couple fluffies through the pipe after each bowl, no problems with one pipe all day.
I'm sure the tobacco in question probably has a lot to do with it as well. Very few aro's here.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I'll be gone for 9 days in total.
I have 4 Falcons (& 2 spare bowls) that I know can take a hammering through the day. On top of that I'm thinking of taking 2 Petes & another no-name briar for the evenings.
I might throw a couple of cobs in for sitting in private on the balcony, but there is no way I'm travelling with the ugly-ass meer that I have. ;)
(I had been hoping to take a Storient PM2012 along for the ride, but it looks like it'll be getting delivered while I'm away. At least that gives me a reason to look forward to coming home though, right!!!) :D

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Well I'm gonna go against the tide here. I am a contractor and spend much time either outside or running from jobsite to jobsite checking on my crews. I typically have a pipe going 6 hours out of the day on and off. I have a set of pipes that most would consider respectable, but not fancy like Sav's, Pete's Stanwell's ect. These pipes get kicked around in my truck, thrown in a tool belt while climbing ladders and generally by most standards abused. I have smoked the same pipe all day for three or four days gave it a good clean and layed it up for a week and moved on to another one. Several of my Petes are 15 years old and still no ill effects. So while I think it is a good idea to rest a pipe I don't perscribe to the must take a dozen pipes with me when I travel. Customs is a big enough hassle today and no way would I pack my pipes in my luggage. But I do really like the idea of purchasing a pipe while on vacation. Great way to remember the trip and give you a pick me up as well. My first Dunhill came from a B&M in Hamilton Bermuda years ago and it will always be my Bermuda golf pipe.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I went to Canada for a week with the family and brought a dozen pipes plus a couple of cobbs and four tins of tobacco (for variety of coarse).
Ps...how do you like those Falcons??

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
It is simple, take as many pipes as you can fit. Toss out some of those extra underwear and socks. Who needs them. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.