PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
I have a system in place where I pretty much have my entire cellar available to smoke or age at any given moment. I just jar it as soon as I pop a tin. Opening the jar of course ruins the magic of aging, but it doesnt take away from it either. I am always hopping around in my tastes and preferred blend, so everything gets a bowl or three taken from it and then aged for months pretty consistently.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
12 in mason jars, I'll open something try it and if its good it gets smoked, if I think it needs aged then it gets jarred gets a date and in the drawers it goes.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
This thread has been reassuring. Happy to know that I'm now the only that typically has a dozen or more tins/jars going at a time.
I use small bail jars to store smaller quantities - 2 to 12 oz. I have over 12 of those that I dip into from time to time. Then I have 3 or 4 active tins/jars in my rotation that I smoke from several times weekly. At the moement, that is GL Pease Quiet Nights;English SG Bob's Chocolate Flake an aromatic with burley, Virginias, Latakia and whisky ; Comoy's Cask #4, a Vaper, and Ennerdale, which I sometimes smoke as the final bowl of the day. The key is having one of different blend types available for the variety, rather than having several of the same open, e.g.4 VaPers.
Finally, I have a daily tin. This is usually a new blend to me. I've found smoking a new blend two or three times a day, 7 days a week, helps me understand and appreciate the blend much better than sporadically sampling it among over a month or more.
However, you will come up with your own rotation system over time and that system will evolve as your experience and tastes change. Have fun! The cool thing is there is no right or wrong way to do it.
Pax

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I smoke between 6 and 10 bowls a day... so I keep my 8 personal blends always available, as well as a dozen flakes for when it isn't an aro moment.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm like a kid in a candy store. I must have well over 80 opened tins in ½-pint Mason jars awaiting my pleasure.

My "short rotation" is a more modest dozen or so.
I think I have a wider -- albeit not deeper -- inventory than most B&M's. :lol:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
To many! I have a variety of bulk tobaccos in mason jars and any tins I open also go in mason jars. I currently have 54 mason jars I'll smoke from. I also have about 10 samples in plastic bags so I have plenty of options. LOL

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I currently have 7 different blends on the go.

Usually it's around 4-5 but I just got a couple tins of new stuff that I couldn't wait to try.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have quite a few. Tiny mason jars that hold leftovers from jarring bigger orders, samples, etc. That and an ounce here or there bought from the local B&M in spice jars with seals. I probably have 40 out there in small amounts. It's one of the reasons I crack so few tins... they just get dated and put in the cellar. lol

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Screenshot_2015_02_23_15_16_00.png
open

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
LOL

perhaps, the OP, Marcel wants to just get back lightly to the enjoyment of pipe tobacco.

The response appears in this post can be some overwhelming display of TAD with lots of enthusiasm.

:puffy:
@7ach

Is this website especially developed for tobacco house-keeping? Very neat!

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I'm still trying brands that smell like cat piss and burnt hair (and you know that's someones go to blend).
That might be the mothballs. I have about 10 tins open, and I would prefer to have about 5.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
I'm enjoying reading what everyone has open and getting a peek into their processes and procedures. One thing I am doing is creating a log of pipes and tobaccos, not as elaborate as 7ach's but it's going to help me know what I have at a glance. The nice thing about cellaring tobacco is it takes up much less space than wine.
As a new / returning pipe smoker I'm slowly evolving what I like to smoke and when. I'm not a big English fan but I'm finding I like smoking Hearth and Home's House of Lords in a small bowl prince in the morning with my coffee. In the evening afterwork I have time to experiment with different blends. I know from when I smoked a pipe years ago I really liked G.L. Pease Barbary Coast so I'm looking at different Burley Blends. And I just tried a nougat cased aromatic called Frogtown from the Golden Leaf in St. Paul that was wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.