PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
It's only been a few weeks for me.

Never thought about smoking a pipe before, although I always liked the smell when Grandpa had his lit.

That was until I found this site and it reminded me of Grandpa sitting in his chair puffing away and decided to try it.

I asked my Mom the other day if she had his pipe but she didn't, it's long gone. :(
Mark

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
I was a junior in he that was 1954. Serious since 1958 first charatan 1965 mostly English Balkan blends. About 120 pipes still have some from early days. Shel

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I stared in 2009 with a Royal Duke and some Capt Black Royal hoping to replace cigarettes(didn't work). Switched to "real" tobacco 2 1/2 years ago and like many got a real bad case of PAD/TAD. I had about 50 pipes but have narrowed it down to about 20 I really like and I have about 10 pounds in the cellar. I love this hobby, only thing would make it better is a group of guys/gals to smoke with.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I smoked a little bit for a year, about 10 years ago when I smoked cigars. (only had 1 pipe, a Dunhill straight billiard)
Currently, I just started about 3 months ago.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Other than some failed attempts in college and grad school in the eighties and nineties, I started almost six months ago. I'd been off cigarettes for six months, but was still craving nicotine. Smokeless tobaccos work, but don't fit my mental self-image so I started trying to smoke a pipe.
Pipes definitely fit my internal image.
Not certain I'd like it, though, I started with the cheapest pipes and tobacco I could find, and was pretty unsuccessful again, until I found this forum and Missouri Meerschaum Cobs!
I'm slowly breaking my "cigarette smoker puffing too fast" habit. If newbroom reads this, it's been a week since I burned my tongue! Yay me, and thank y'all!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
About 25 years, one briar and some cobs and Capt. Black exclusively. Did not smoke regularly. Had no idea about the nature and extent of the pipe/tobacco world. About six months ago decided to get serious.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"54 years, started in Loas with the Humong the Mountain People"
Just in case I have not said it before, thank-you for your service, Sir!
When I lived in Rochester, Minnesota there were a fair number of Hmong there who had been relocated by some of the local churches. Very industrious and polite folk. I recall a story one told about his arrival by air in the dead of winter. As the plane taxied toward the terminal building he stated that he looked out of the window in amazment and wondered if it was really salt which covered the landscape. He had never before seen snow!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I begaan smoking aa pipe in 2000 when a cigar buddy bugged the crap out of me until I eventually bought one. I have a buddy who owns a cigar store and lounge and he had some pipes in stock so I grabbed a Savinelli Linea Piu 5 that was a bent Apple. It has a nice silver band and I still own the pipe today. I loved the pipe for years as it was a great smoker. It smokes as cool and dry as anything I own, the only reason I rarely ever smoke it anymore is because it is too heavy and it has an acrylic stem which is just not comfortable to me anymore.
I honestly believe that if I had not bought such a nice pipe in the beginning, I may have quit. One of my earliest pipes was a Jensen bent Billiard that smoked brutally hot and wet and if that had been my first pipe instead of my 4th I don't know if I would have kept smoking. I always had that Savinelli to compare other pipes to so when I did get a wet or a hot smoker, I could say to myself, it is the pipe not your technique. I think people should grab a really good pipe in the beginning so they have something to compare it to, as it was in my case. My Savinelli had a retail price of 155.00 back then and my buddy gave me 20% off so it cost me 124.00. I am so grateful to that pipe as it was always a joy to smoke and thank the pipe Gods my first pipe was not that piece of garbage Jensen. That thing had about ten coats of lacquer on it and I needed oven mitts to smoke that thing. Here is a pic of that first pipe which began my journey into this thing of ours.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Since mid November 1990. My father, who smoked a pipe, gave me one on my 19th birthday. So, 24 years and some change.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Collectively, 100's of years worth of experience just with those who've chimed in so far. Amazing really, anyone would be hard pressed to find a resource as valuable as these forums with all this wealth of knowledge.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
I smoked my first pipe 17 years ago. It was a Boswell loaded with some fufu sweet aromatic...not a good experience. I kept with it as a once a month type thing and then after my first divorce I had to be more money minded and the cigars I was indulging in regularly just could not be afforded. Re-enter the pipe 13 years ago, a chance purchase of some "natural" tobacco (Edgeworth Slices and Dunhill's Nightcap) and bang, I was off and running. Still smoke cigars, but they are inexpensive cheroots now and quite wonderful actually. Primarily, however, I'm a pipe guy and it has been a wonderful adventure so far.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes, off and on, about 40 years. Before that, as a young kid, unfiltered cigarettes that served as aversion therapy. In college, small, inexpensive cigars, and occasional better cigars after that. With long gaps to assist my late wife in quitting cigarettes. But I kept the pipes, about six of them, and the stable has now expanded more than ten times.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Started October, 1963, freshman year of college. Started out with a Kaywoodie 500 and Middleton's Cherry Blend. That was in the days when you could smoke in class, in the dorm, virtually everywhere. The girls loved the pipe and those who smoked it. That only lasted a few months for me. Found CB to be WAY too sweet, and the pipe got foul quickly (didn't learn good cleaning techniques for several years). Switched eventually to Sir Walter Raleigh, stayed with him for many years until I discovered English/Balkan blends. Been there ever since.
Still have the Kaywoodie; replaced the stinger bit with a regular, no filter bit YEARS ago. It remains a favorite pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.