PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Off and on for 35 years with greatly renewed interest over the past couple of years. For a long while, I was more of a cigarette, then cigar smoker than pipe smoker. Now, I reach for the pipe first and cigars are more of a social thing.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Let's see...I bought my first pipe in 1998. So almost 18 years although I never really got into it until 2005.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Since Popeye was knee-high to a life ring. Bought my first pipe in the summer of 1972. Did take a break when our youngest daughter was found to have asthma and allergies so I stopped smoking around the house. Started up again when she left for college.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I just passed ten years. Have never owned more than 15 pipes, and my cellar is pretty modest in terms of overall poundage, but I'm happy. I have smoked some incredible old blends because I don't mind spending $50 on a special tin now and then.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
While I would occasionally sneak my grandfather's pipe and some Prince Albert earlier, the first pipe I owed came in about 1962. That was when cigarettes went to over 25 cents a pack. No one could afford that.
I continued with the pipe all through High School and College and my first year teaching. Then I was drafted, and a pipe just didn't work when the Sargent called "Smoke 'em, if you got 'em". I was a cigarette smoker who would occasionally pull out a pipe until about 15 years ago. I stopped smoking anything for a year (thanks to the patch) and then took up the occasional cigar.
Cigars went to over a dollar a stick about a year and a half ago. No one could afford that. So I pulled out my old pipes from college and in a stroke of absolute brilliance (or crazy luck) ordered a pound of Newminster English Luxus from my old cigar provider. I still have some of the cigars from that last order, but have been through a whole bunch of English Luxus and other English blends since.
I have about 70 pipes now (thanks in big part to a wildly lucky estate sale purchase a few weeks ago). Maybe 50 of those are fit to smoke.
And I still have that pipe of my grandfather's that I would sneak out as a kid.
GrandfathersPipe.JPG

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Since 1963. I was in College and it suddenly dawned on me, "Women like the smell of pipes better than the smell of cigars."

I'm not good with time, but I said that I had been smoking for a couple of years, for a couple of years. My best guesstimate is five, maybe coming up on six years. But, when I took up the pipe, I made it a part of me, keeping one lit throughout the day, all day. So, in dog years that's almost thirty years, ha ha!! But, for the first couple of years I mostly just smoked Captain Black, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.