PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
Any of you have savory oatmeal? A bit of chicken, green onions, oyster sauce, hoisin and sriracha added to oatmeal and milk really does the trick.

Reactions: SBC

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
Based off of this thread, I tried a savory oatmeal this past week for the first time. Threw in some chicken base, soy sauce, green onions, hot sauce, and peanut butter. It was a little weird at first, but ended up really good and a filling, cheap lunch.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
We do savory oatmeal with a strong chicken stock base, bacon bits, grated parmesian, black pepper, hot sauce, and a sunny side up egg on top (that I break up and mix in).

• Love
Reactions: Snook and ahouston
We stayed with some family recently who had a great method. She put all of the ingredients for her oatmeal and fruit in a Mason Jar and sealed it up, turned it upside down and let it set in the fridge over night. In the fridge the oatmeal rehydrates itself to the perfect consistency, she had cream in them also with some having cherries and some having strawberries etc... All you have to do is pour a cup of coffee, grab a jar and run out the door. Just eat it out of the jar. No need to cook.

Although, I am not the biggest fan of oatmeal, it was tasty, and held me over till I got to a Hardees to order some real breakfast food, ha ha.

Reactions: SBC

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
We stayed with some family recently who had a great method. She put all of the ingredients for her oatmeal and fruit in a Mason Jar and sealed it up, turned it upside down and let it set in the fridge over night. In the fridge the oatmeal rehydrates itself to the perfect consistency, she had cream in them also with some having cherries and some having strawberries etc... All you have to do is pour a cup of coffee, grab a jar and run out the door. Just eat it out of the jar. No need to cook.

Although, I am not the biggest fan of oatmeal, it was tasty, and held me over till I got to a Hardees to order some real breakfast food, ha ha.
We call this overnight oats. I like it with bananas and peanut butter.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Steel cut oats are a mainstay in my house. Two teen age boys over six feet tall eat a lot of cold cereal and milk. Waste of money. They’ll also polish off loaves of bread, eggs and bacon. Steel cut oats are healthy and filling. You can make a whole bunch and reheat quickly in a pinch. Mixing maple syrup into the oatmeal is really nice.

I know it may sound gross, but it’s hearty and filling - a couple tablespoons full of all natural crunchy peanut butter makes a savoury treat. Once you get a taste for it, you’ll crave it 😝

• Love
Reactions: username and SBC

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Steel cut oats are a mainstay in my house. Two teen age boys over six feet tall eat a lot of cold cereal and milk. Waste of money. They’ll also polish off loaves of bread, eggs and bacon. Steel cut oats are healthy and filling. You can make a whole bunch and reheat quickly in a pinch. Mixing maple syrup into the oatmeal is really nice.

I know it may sound gross, but it’s hearty and filling - a couple tablespoons full of all natural crunchy peanut butter makes a savoury treat. Once you get a taste for it, you’ll crave it 😝
I hear you! We have 7 kids, two of them teens thus far, and oats are among the most affordable ways to be both filling and nutritious. We buy them by the 50 lb. sack from a health foods store and store them in large food grade containers!

Reactions: Bassman65

SmokeBreak

Lurker
Dec 4, 2023
It's interesting how many different ways people enjoy oatmeal! Overnight oats and steel cut oats both sound tasty. I'll have to try making a big batch of steel cut oats for leftovers like you mentioned. Do your teen boys have a favorite way to eat them? Also, coconut milk is an interesting twist - I never thought to use that in oatmeal before.

Reactions: Bassman65