PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
On the thread about the The first Bowl of the Day I posted a stock photo so I want to post a real photo now since at the time it was not breakfast. Peterson 05 Irish Harp with Capstan Blue.
20231010_070417.jpg
Recipe
1/2 cup dry measure of rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut milk not the canned kind but the lid you buy in a half gallon carton as a milk substitute
1/2 cup water
Mic 3 mins 50% power
Stir
Mic 2 mins 50% power

I use diff recipes and posted another on the other thread which was just water. Today felt like a bit of coconut flavor.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Fill bowl with oats, add desired amount of whole milk, and eat is my usual go to.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’m on the run a lot. Here’s my go to steel cut oatmeal hack.

I take two pouches of Better Oats Steel Cut and place them in a food thermos. Then I add one cup boiling water. Mix well

Then I go to bed.

While my coffee is going I eat my oatmeal, and grab the rest of my shit and head out.

Attachments

• IMG_5989.jpeg
    IMG_5989.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 6
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I make my oatmeal by first getting out a cast iron skillet and preheating it to about 340F. I start steeping some oatmeal in a pyrex mixing bowl. Then I place two pieces of bacon in the skillet along with two eggs. Once the bacon and eggs are done cooking, I dump the oatmeal in the trash and eat the bacon and eggs. I love my oatmeal! Not a huge fan of anyone else's.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Oatmeal isn’t a big seller at my house, so my oatmeal game is weak. On the rare occasion I do make it, I use the instant flavored packages. Lame, I know.
On camping trips these are lifesaver - ziplock bag, water, oatmeal packet - let sit overnight. You start up the coffee the fire and empty the ziplock into a bowl warmed near the fire or eat just like it is. No fuss in the morning when you're trying to wake up.

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
I make warm horchata for cold mornings. Sure, it's technically a drink but it hits the spot.

Some water, rice, and a cinnamon stick in a blender. On the stove heat sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. Add paste to milks and then add a vanilla bean. Warm and serve. Don't ask for measurements since I just know and never measured it out lol.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
I've never understood the reason for the existence of instant oatmeal. Just regular rolled oats can be zapped in the microwave in a few minutes, once you get your measurements and timer dialed in. The texture of instant is horrible.
Place for everything. Irish Steel cuts are extremely unprocessed and take longer to cook, there are two kinds of rolled - quick cook and old fashioned, and then there is instant which seems to be cooked and dried.

For survival instant can be a lifesaver. just add water hot or not and you eat and survive. Steel cuts are the best flavor to me but I only do those on the weekend sometimes.

I am an oatmeal fanatic. In my 50s and my body thanks me every day.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I like Red Mill for my oatmeal, rather than any of the now horrid Quaker Oats products, with nasty chemical aftertaste.
The recipe is pretty simple: 1 part rolled oats to 2 parts water. Nuke at high for 2 minutes. Stir. Nuke at high for 20 seconds more. Splash of maple syrup stirred in. I prefer the chewier texture to the creamier one that slower cooking produces. One of the healthiest things you can eat.

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
I typically go with overnight oats.

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 milk
a couple of big scoops of Greek yogurt
a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar free sweetener
let that sit in the fridge over night then add a small handful of walnuts.

This will pretty much get me from lunch to dinner without any hunger.

Reactions: edger and SBC

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Steel cut oats in a Zojirushi rice cooker n the porridge setting. Set it the night before and it’s ready for breakfast. Easy and great texture and flavor.

Reactions: edger

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I like to add raisins, walnuts, and cinnamon to mine. I throw in some ground flaxseed and chia seed if I want to feel extra super duper healthy.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Old Fashion oatmeal. My younger son loves it. He takes it like I showed him. Salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and a big chunk of butter. Usually topped with fried eggs and bacon.

Garcia

Lurker
Oct 21, 2023
Los Angeles
I make warm horchata for cold mornings. Sure, it's technically a drink but it hits the spot.

Some water, rice, and a cinnamon stick in a blender. On the stove heat sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. Add paste to milks and then add a vanilla bean. Warm and serve. Don't ask for measurements since I just know and never measured it out lol.
Whats your horchata recipe??

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Toss some old fashioned in a bowl and cover with boiling water and dash of salt.
Once they steep add a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg stir in enough milk to get the right consistency, done.
I sometimes will add a bit of fruit.
I almost always eat oats as a sole dish. I prefer grits with a traditional breakfast.
I abhor cream of wheat.

Reactions: canucklehead