PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I've heard it's pretty much bottom rung as far as mead goes but it's the only thing they sell anywhere in my area. Haven't checked online though...

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
Tried a few times but beer alway comes out a bt sourish. Maybe the ambience temperature of 30-32degC doesn't help.
Anyone knows what I can do beside fridging it? Any yeast that work slow in high temp?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Montrachet and EC-1118 will work in anything under 32°C, but it really likes to be around the 21°C area. It's also a bit strong for beer. Some ale yeasts wil survive, but the beer won't taste great at that temp. Ale yeasts like it below 20°C and Lager yeasts really need about 10°C, give or take to get good. You would have to keep the fermenter in a water bath with a controlled temp, if you can't have it cool in the room.

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
Yeh, knew that. That why asking if any yeast works well and slow in high temp. Too costly to keep temp low here.
Ale is the closest I can get but taste abit weird with the high temp. Maybe I should throw some English mixture in and see if it helps. Haha

cadavers

Lurker
Jan 27, 2012
My brother has started brewing his own beer, he's got a "Mr.Beer" kit, right now.

His first batch will be finished conditioning in about 2 weeks.
I've stressed that he should get a wooden cask, and to collect import bottles, instead of using the plastic liter bottles his kit came with.
It's new to us though, I'm excited to taste it, even more excited for him to start experimenting with his own recipes! :)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have:

5 gallons of Chocolate w/cherry Mead in the works. (approx. 2-1/2 years)
herz.png

1 gallon of Choclate Habanero Mead. (approx. 2-1/2 years) :twisted:

2 gallons of Orange Clove Mead. (T minus 2 weeks) :P

in the works.

:puffy:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
@ cadavers just have him go to a bar and ask for their empties. They have to throw them away anyway and it's a good source of free bottles. Just make sure you get non twist-off bottles so they will work with his capper. I make mostly country wine and mead, so I hit up a local wine bar all the time.

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
Since I'm a homebrewer (doing my 64th all-grain batch this Saturday, probably an IPA), let me point you to some sites so you don't have to buy baronsamedi's book. :nana:
For the basics, to understand what to do, go here: http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Arnold Palmer sells a book but all the info is on its site. I collated it in pdf so I could send it to you.
Another site which really helped me is http://www.homebrewtalk.com. Tons of infos (wiki, forums, recipes, etc). You have to be a member to post but there's no need since'you have a question there's the answer on a post'. Also for cider, wine, mead and kombucha.
For the scientists out here: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page. If you want to know how (and which) grain affects mash Ph, yeast culture and freezing (yes it can be done), decoction schedule, kraeusening, etc.
And if you're looking for something else, like lambic, England beer history, I probably have a site to suggest.
Prost!

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Uh, I think you mean John Palmer's book. Undoubtedly, Arnold Palmer's book on homebrewing will be something to see, when it's finally published!!!! :lol:

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
Brewshooter: :rofl: Don't know how I came up with that one since I don't play (or follow) golf!

Guess I didn't learn in school to reread!!

My apologies to John Palmer

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Well, the Arnold Palmer, half-lemonade/half-iced tea, is a delightful beverage. Maybe that's why it was in your head?

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
Sorry, have never heard of it. Live in Montreal, Canada (maybe that explains). Gotta try it one day though (must be quite refreshing!)
A better explanation to my name error: my blood is running low on alcohol!

Aug 1, 2012
I have been brewing for about 6 years. It is one of the easiest and most challenging things I have done. Easy to start but hard to get really, consistently good at. It gives you an appreciation for those who do it for a living.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Consistency is tough, even if you have perfect sanitation and temperature control. Yeast just does what it wants to do sometimes. It's actually pretty amazing that brands like Budweiser can be as consistent as they are with the huge volume they produce.

Aug 1, 2012
Yeah, people might be down on Bud and the like but it really takes a huge amount of expertise to brew something so technically flawless and consistent every day.

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
Well, that's exactly what I like about homebrewing, doing every batch differently (% of MOPA, Crystal, chocolate, roasted, etc + differents hops/schedule).
Doing the same beer over and over again sounds depressing to me!
Also, keep in mind that commercial brewers use adjunct and coloring to consistently produce the same beer.

Aug 1, 2012
I love me some adjuncts myself. Some Belgian Candi or oatmeal can really change the character of a recipe. The most interesting and fun additive I have used was Mountain Dew. I brewed with about a gallon of the stuff in a 5 gallon batch. That was fun and turned out really well. Now to see if we can make SkittleBrau.

Status
Not open for further replies.