PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
We recently brought back Lane HGL, Hazelenut, Black Raspberry, LL-7 and HG-2000 (in no small part due to the input from this forum). Based on the success, we are considering the resurrection of more classic Lane blends.
Specifically I want to bring back one of the traditional English blends. Which of the blends below would you like to smoke again:

- Crown Achievement

- 10 Downing Street

- A-100

- BS-005

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have tried the Hazelnut and really enjoy it. I didn't know about the Black Raspberry. I will have to try that one. I have only been smoking the pipe a few years so I know nothing about your old blends.
I will offer though, I would like to see a good bulk blend offered that would be a great intro into the world of English blends. I currently despise anything with Latakia in it but want to so much enjoy them.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Come on old farts, you gotta chime in on this one because I haven't even heard of these blends. :puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Crown Achievement was always in my rotation. In fact, I have about a 1/4 lb left. My all time favorite was Highland. I'd kill for that one to return. I have many happy memories of the Lane Ltd. shop on 42nd St in New York. Thanks for asking us, Leonard.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Leo - it is great that you are thinking of asking us this question, much less even doing it! I have several pounds of the CrownA squirreled away, but I got back into piping when these were all discontinued. So the other 3 are mysteries to me.
I suppose from a product management standpoint, assuming ingredients for all are available, you could:

1) choose the biggest seller from before

2) look at the current competitive lineup, and a) target a current niche, or b) find a slot in between or even beyond the range of what's out there now. If you are looking at concentrating on the bulk business by B&Ms, I would guess Newminster is a new entry. The Peter Stokkebye line now has English Luxury added to the old Balkan Supreme, English Oriental Supreme and Proper English.
Of course, there's the factor of new and experienced puffers having different preferences than the old timers. You could always play the wine-tasters' trick that the old Pepsi/New-preClassic Coke got into, since one new element to our game is the tasting comparisons that clubs and tobagies get into.
hp

les

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Leonard,
Just wanted to say thank you for bringing back Black Raspberry. It's just as I remember. Excellent! I just ordered a pound, in fact.
Now that you have Raspberry, Hazelnut and 1-Q, any chance of re-birthing RHQ-3? Just curious.
As far as your next blend, I've always been a fan of A-100 and BS-005, but Crown Achievement is, well, Lane's Crown Achievement! All are worthy, but 10 Downing St. always left me flat. Not enough Latakia.
Thanks again for your dedication and hard work bringing Lane Ltd. back to it's former glory!
CACooper

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Crown Acheivement was one of my fav. so thats my vote. Thank you for bring back the other blends I have really enjoyed them.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
I haven't smoked any of these blends but the reviews I've read, any of these would be great to have come back. Crown Achievement seems to be a favorite so I'll cast my vote for that one. Oh, and thanks for asking for our input, it's great to know that you guys are listening!

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I have yet to have a Lane Limited product I didn't like. Whichever Lane English blend you bring back, I will be sure to enjoy.
Black Raspberry and Hazelnut are both in my regular rotation, just like RLP-6, 1-Q, and BC-A are.
PS: how about a Captain Black Dark like bulk blend (Zesty!), like the RLP-6 for CBW...I can't get enough of the new Captain Black Dark!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Only a year in I've never gotten to try any of the ones you've mentioned.
But I personally would really enjoy a nice mild to medium English. Something creamy, sweet, with a touch of Latakia and Orientals.
Also, I know it makes sense to you probably but with names like A1001, I have a hard time remembering them over names like "Amusing Blend Name Here". Is it a copyright thing?

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Crown Achievement here also Leonard. And thanks for asking!!!! I really like where Lane Ltd has been headed lately!!! I am along for the ride with ya! :lol:

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Don't know if this was a Lane blend but there used to be a bulk called MT-150. Blend was to commemorate Mark Twain's 150th birthday. It was an aromatic for pipers who don't like aromatics. I thought it was great stuff but it seems to have been lost along the way. Otherwise, I have to place a vote for CA.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Definitely Crown Achievement. And thanks for bringing back the Hazelnut. I didn't know it was back, but will now order some.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Crown Achievement seems to get the vote, but I am intrigued with BS-005. They both sound

appetizing. I'd like to thank Lanes for bringing back LL-7, which I just got to know when it

was re-introduced in bulk. I bought a healthy quantity and am enjoying it right along. I think

Q-1 admirers might like it in rotation. It's a bit livelier to me, and still a pleasing everyday smoke.

In English blends, I especially admire use of Latakia so it adds accent without blocking the other

tobacco flavors. Usually, this means a medium strength blend that manages to provide levels of

flavor a the same time. I will definitely watch for Lane's new English blends in bulk.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Bumping an old thread I know, but...
Crown Achievement
I would also like to see a Lane bulk VAPER at some point. Doesn't necessarily have to be a flake (in fact, I would prefer ribbon cut). I think Lane's ribbon cut is perfect. I have less and less time to fool with flakes, so I find myself reaching for ready-to-pack ribbon cuts more often.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Not of fan of English blends.
Can you give me three or four more vanilla flavored Cavendish blends please? lol.
Seriously, I do enjoy Lane's aromatics, but would like to see some different top dressings used.

Status
Not open for further replies.