12 Fresh Brigham Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dec 31, 2023
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. Try some of the old codger blends. They are still around for a reason-they are good. Also try many of the Iwan Ries blends. I am very fond of Old Colonial, Three Star Green, Three Star Blue, Three Star Royale, Three Star Banner and Dr. Bradley. Welcome aboard.
A long time ago I had some Carter Hall. I did enjoy its simple charms, but since I got into the tinned stuff I have shied away from burleys. Maybe it's time I revisited this one!

Reactions: WVOldFart

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I'm looking at trying to find an oriental blend I like, but so often the tin description doesn't say which oriental is inside, and I've found they can be really different. Meridian is great, Regent's flake is fine but has a tendency to dry out my palate, and Abingdon is nice but very, very full.

Never tried Regent's, and probably won't since you like Meridian but say that Regent's dries your mouth out! Meridian dries my mouth ridiculously!

One of my favorites is Peretti's Royal Blend -- I find the yenidje (what JimInks calls an "unflavored soda note" but which I think of as more "medicinal") more noticeable in it than in anything else I've smoked.
Look up reviews on it and see if it seems worth trying to you.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
All these Sconies and yet no one with a big family hunting lodge or lake house or campground we can all hike into for a big meet n smoke?
I do have a decently sized house and smoke in it ... but rarely more than one bowl a day, and usually VAs (leaving the latakia for outdoors). Having kids (and, you know, furniture), I'm hesitant to have 10 pipes going at once in here.

Wish I had some kind of comfortable outbuilding or camp to offer.

In any case I'm up in Niagara -- not exactly ideally situated for most of the state.

If I can be of service, I'm here for any of ya'll (I mean that), but if anybody has any other suggestion, there may be better options.

Perhaps a Saturday or Sunday evening at a more centrally located state park with grill grates, during the warmer months? We could all bring meat to grill, and sides, and camp chairs, and tobacco to share.

Just a thought.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I've poked around superficially for private campsites (all federal, state, and county parks are officially smoke free - tho there may be some where we could get away with it) between Madison and Steven's Point (because it's centrally located) but keep wanting to discover a cabin/lodge because we are all of such a range of ages and interests that I feel we'd get a better crowd with toilets and a kitchen.

• Haha
Reactions: SBC

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
I've been interested in pipe smoking on and off since I was 18, but never had the time or money to really dig in! Recently, that changed and now I've started getting together a basic collection of pipes (three cobs, a moonshine stoker, and a nording bent freehand, a clay on the way) and a growing collection of pipe tobacco. So far I've been diving into straight virginias the most - Union Square was the first tin I finished, then Peterson Flake, and I've had C&D's Virginia Flake (which is my favorite so far), Anthology 2023, HH Pure Virginia, and C&D's Opening Night. Sadly I got back into this AFTER it became virtually impossible for me to get tinned SG FVF, but I later found a few ounces I'd bought bulk in 2015 and thrown in a jar. A big score, but I found it strong for my tastes.

I'm looking at trying to find an oriental blend I like, but so often the tin description doesn't say which oriental is inside, and I've found they can be really different. Meridian is great, Regent's flake is fine but has a tendency to dry out my palate, and Abingdon is nice but very, very full.

I've been hit with TAD pretty early on. Aside from what I've already mentioned, I've got Geometrie, Gaslight, Rattray's Black Virginia (the closest thing to an aromatic I think I'd like), Escudo, Presbyterian Mixture, Plum Pudding Barrel Aged, Plum Pudding Christmas Spirit 2023, Cringle Flake 2023, Epiphany, SG Commonwealth, SG Navy Flake, SG Balkan Flake From Beyond, HH Old Dark Fired, Capstan, a can of 2020 Carolina Red Flake, a 2014 can of Mac Baren Vanilla Flake (from my early days)

Here's to finding what I like, all suggestions welcome.

Cheers from the bottomg of the lake!

Lakebottom Piper
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!